Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Mayweather, Pacquiao fight fans sue for millions

Call it the fallout of the century.

A class-action suit filed in US District Court in Illinois not only names Manny Pacquiao and promoters Top Rank but also telecasters HBO and Showtime, who combined to produce the pay-per-view fight programme that was sold in the United States for about $100.

Read: Question marks over Mayweather’s legacy

The suit also names Floyd Mayweather, Mayweather Promotions and cable television providers AT&T, COMCAST and DirecTV, and accuses the defendants of deceptive practices in marketing and advertising the bout.

“Defendants, individually and collectively, deceptively and fraudulently promoted, produced and sold the fight as one between two healthy fighters … expressly misrepresenting the health of Manny Pacquiao to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, all in an effort to maximise and collect pay-per-view revenue,” the lawsuit claims.

At least five such class-action suits have been filed across the United States, seeking millions of dollars in compensation on behalf of those who bought tickets, forked out pay per view fees or bet on Saturday’s fight in Las Vegas, which Mayweather won easily on points.

Pacquiao revealed afterwards that he had been held back by the shoulder complaint.

It did not take long for the lawsuits to come flooding in.

‘Dud of the century’
Two men in Nevada sued on Tuesday, saying the promotion violated the state’s Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

In a similar suit filed in California, plaintiff Howard B. Sirota cites former heavyweight world Champion Mike Tyson as calling the long-anticipated bout the “Dud of the Century”.

Some of the lawsuits point to the pre-fight medical questionnaire signed by Pacquiao for Nevada boxing authorities in which he checked “no” to the question, “Have you had any injury to your shoulders, elbows or hands that needed evaluation or examination?”

Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz, named as a defendant in some of the lawsuits, has said he inadvertently ticked the wrong box.

Daniel Petrocelli, an attorney for Pacquiao and Top Rank, told the Los Angeles Times that he was confident the Nevada lawsuit would be dismissed.

“It claims Pacquiao was injured (immediately) before the bout and that’s not true – he was injured (nearly a month) before the bout, was examined by doctors and cleared to fight,” Petrocelli said. “And he was examined by the commission right before he fought.”

ESPN reported Monday that Pacquiao’s camp expect the fighter to undergo surgery for a “significant” rotator cuff tear.

They say they disclosed the injury suffered in training camp when they cleared the use of anti-inflammatory drugs with the US Anti-Doping Agency and that Pacquiao had improved enough to be cleared by doctors to fight.

Mayweather earned an emphatic, unanimous 12-round decision over Pacquiao in the feverishly anticipated bout that will go down as the richest in boxing history – and by critics as one of the most overhyped.

Read: Massive hype, even bigger money for Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Mayweather walked out of the MGM Grand Garden Arena with a check for $100-million – just the first installment of a payday that could reach $200-million when all the pay-per-view sales, ticket sales, closed circuit TV viewings and other revenue is totted up and shared out.

Pacquiao is expected to receive more than $100-million. – AFP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

R500-million Covid-19 Gauteng hospital contract was irregularly awarded — SIU

The bank accounts of Pro Service Consulting and Thenga Holdings have been frozen

More top stories

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

New clean fuel standards could be the end of refineries...

In the absence of mechanisms to recoup investment into cleaner fuels, refineries may be faced with tough decisions

R500-million Covid-19 Gauteng hospital contract was irregularly awarded — SIU

The bank accounts of Pro Service Consulting and Thenga Holdings have been frozen

Silicosis payouts are ‘symbolic justice’ for South Africa’s miners

The Tshiamiso Trust has begun paying out workers who contracted silicosis and TB in South Africa’s gold mines, but the amounts are paltry against what they have lost to poor health over the years.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×