Nigerian army says Shekau has a ‘mental issue’ after the Boko Haram leader resurfaces

The Nigerian army has reacted to a recent video released by Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, stating that the commander clearly has a “mental issue”.

According to Naij, a statement issued by army director Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman revealed that troops considered Shekau to be “unstable”.

In addition, Usman called on citizens to ignore the contents of the video because the “facts on the ground speak for themselves”.

“We want to assure Nigerians, especially the residents of Maiduguri, Kano, Kaduna and Zaria, not to panic as we have more than what it takes to defend them and deal decisively with the remnants of the terrorists group.

“We would like to reiterate that Boko Haram terrorism, as it was known, is gone for good,” the statement said.

Shekau resurfaced in a video released by the Islamist sect on Sunday, rejecting previous allegations made by the Nigerian army that he had been killed during an air strike.

“You have been spreading in the social media that you injured or killed me,” Shekau said in the 40-minute video released on YouTube and dated September 25.

“Oh tyrants, I’m in a happy state, in good health and in safety.”

The Nigerian army said on August 23 that Shekau had been seriously wounded in the shoulder in an air raid in which several commanders were killed. — News24

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Police were left dangling during July unrest, KZN top cop...

Whoever organised the unrest in response to the pending arrest of Jacob Zuma was responsible for the lethal violence that followed, the KZN police commissioner Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi said.

Urgent interdict filed to block Shell’s Wild Coast seismic survey

Shell’s 3D seismic survey is set to begin on Wednesday. But a high court application brought by rights groups to block it will be heard as an urgent matter on Tuesday

Police intelligence surprised by July unrest ‘modus operandi’

Minister of police only receives information from national commissioner that relates to him, commission hears

Sars appeals to ConCourt to keep Zuma’s tax secrets

The high court ruled banning the release of tax information was unconstitutional. Sars disagrees, saying is not only wrong but makes an exception of the former president
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×