Trial delay spikes rebels’ guns

Rebel ANC branches in KwaZulu-Natal seeking to force a rerun of the November 2015 provincial conference first face a trial within a trial before the case — set down for Wednesday — can be heard.

ANC provincial secretary Super Zuma, whose election along with chairperson Sihle Zikalala is being challenged, has filed a motion to have “new allegations” contained in the supporting affidavits filed in court by the branches struck from the case.

Zuma’s motion, filed on August 2, asks the court to set aside the bulk of the additional issues raised by ANC Vryheid councillor Lawrence Dube and four other ANC members representing 43 branches who went to court last June to ask for the rerun.

It argues that, instead of providing further detail, the applicants have introduced fresh issues, including a challenge to the conference date and the ratification of the result by the ANC national executive committee.

Zuma’s motion asks that the additional issues be struck from the case. This week he declined to comment on the motion, which will have to be dealt with before the matter, set down for three days, can be argued, in effect ensuring that there will be no decision on the application before the ANC’s elective national conference in December.


Zuma said on Wednesday: “Our lawyers are ready to proceed on August 16.”

The application to unseat Zuma, Zikalala and the rest of the provincial executive elected at the conference was brought by Dube, a supporter of ousted chairperson and Premier Senzo Mchunu and representatives of 43 ANC branches loyal to him.

They claim in court papers that the voters’ roll was manipulated to favour branches that backed Zuma and Zikalala, who ran together on a slate opposing Mchunu. They also claimed delegates from branches backing Mchunu, including Dube’s branch, had been prevented from attending the conference and voting.

Dube and fellow applicants Sibahle Zikalala, Martin Mzangwa, Mzweni Ngcobo and Lindiwe Buthelezi say the results were tweeted on the @myANC Twitter handle while voting was in progress and that the outcome had been predetermined by officials loyal to the “ZikaZuma” slate.

They also argued that the holding of the conference ahead of schedule was irregular, because it should have been requested by at least one-third of the province’s branches. They further argued that less than the 70% of the province’s 268 ANC branches required to hold conference had been present for the elective process.

Sithembiso Mshengu, the spokesperson for the applicants, was not aware of the contents of Zuma’s motion, but said they were ready to go ahead on Wednesday.

The challenge to the current KwaZulu-Natal leadership, whose backing is crucial to the presidential campaign of Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, the AU commision chair and former wife of President Jacob Zuma, does not end with this week’s court case.

Leaders of four ANC KwaZulu-Natal regions suspended or closed down by the province since their election have appealed to Luthuli House, asking that they be reinstated and that they be given back their administrative powers.

The leadership of three regions — Lower South Coast, Harry Gwala and Far North — has been suspended, and a fourth, eMalahleni, has been dissolved.

Although Zuma downplayed the interventions as administrative and for the good of the party’s branches and municipalities, the ousted leaders claim these are politically motivated and aimed at closing potential support bases for a campaign to elect Cyril Ramaphosa as ANC president.

They also see the move as aimed at manipulating the outcome of the regional conferences to be held in the province ahead of December.

Zuma said the regions had been “delegated powers” by the province, which was “obligated” to take over the running of dysfunctional regions and “assist” branches, which were now “very grateful” for the interventions.

Mzwandile Mkhwanazi, the secretary of the Lower South Coast region, said they had written to Luthuli House to appeal against the decision.

“This is not an administrative issue. We are going into conference and a whole lot of other ANC processes. That is what this is about. We have decided to conform with the decision but appeal it and have informed the province of this,” Mkhwanazi said.

“We were not informed in writing, there was no organisational report on this, so we are confident that, given the urgency of the matter, we will get the required response from national.” 

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Paddy Harper
Paddy Harper
Storyteller.

Related stories

Does the Expropriation Bill muddy the land question even further?

Land ownership and its equitable distribution has floundered. Changes to a section of the constitution and the expropriation act are now before parliament, but do they offer any solution?

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

Eusebius McKaiser: Reject the dichotomy of political horrors

Senekal shows us that we must make a stand against the loud voice of the populist EFF and racist rightwingers

The demon of cronyism in the public service must be crushed

When employees do not give their best, it is the organisation that suffers the most. In the case of government this directly affects citizens

Sitting targets and lame ducks

Everybody’s staying pozi, which is making all the arrests easy for the Hawks. Only Ace is desperate to be seen

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Why anti-corruption campaigns are bad for democracy

Such campaigns can draw attention to the widespread presence of the very behaviour they are trying to stamp out — and subconsciously encourage people to view it as appropriate

Tax, wage bill, debt, pandemic: Mboweni’s tightrope budget policy statement

The finance minister has to close the jaws of the hippo and he’s likely to do this by tightening the country’s belt, again.

SA justice delays extradition of paedophile to UK

Efforts to bring Lee Nigel Tucker to justice have spanned 16 years and his alleged victims have waited for 30 years

Former state security minister Bongo back in court

Bongo and his co-accused will appear in the Nelspruit magistrate’s court in Mpumalanga over charges of fraud, corruption and theft
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday