Financial strains may mean some pupils won’t find schools in 2018

The Gauteng Department of Education is under immense financial pressure, which may play a role in students not being placed in a school for 2018.

At a media briefing at the Nokuthula LSEN school in Johannesburg on Sunday, Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said, with only 2 017 public schools in Gauteng – of which 402 were already at maximum capacity – 63 456 applicants still needed to be placed before the 2018 school year begins.

This has been exacerbated by the fact that 35 865 applicants have not submitted documents to the schools, as well as the department’s financial strain, as Treasury did not increase the budget for the 2018 school year.

“We have received an instruction that we are not going to get a new budget from Treasury, which simply means that there is no new money that is coming,” said Lesufi.

“We have to absorb all new children with no new money. The pressure is unthinkable.”


Lesufi said that as more and more students were coming to Gauteng for their schooling, and because of the financial restraints, there would not be enough teachers and text books to meet the demand.

“It’s inevitable that, at the beginning of the year, there might be a learner that says: ‘I don’t have a text book.’ There might be a school that might say: ‘The ceiling is falling, we have not fixed it.’ There might be a learner sitting on a tin of paraffin instead of a desk.

“I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that, in January, parents are going to toyi toyi outside my office because they are looking for spaces. We have not closed because we don’t want to take them, we have closed because we don’t have money to accommodate extra learners.”

“We wish all our learners strength,” Lesufi said. But, while his hands were tied, the department would try and place all students where there were spaces, but if the spaces were exceeded, there would be nothing the department could do.

Out of a total of 285 834 students that need to be placed in school, 222 378 (77%) of all applicants had been placed. This figure is a sum total of 123 450 for Grade 1 and 98 928 for Grade 8 learners.

Lesufi said the department was opening new schools every month, but that the demand was huge and just couldn’t be matched.

Lesufi said applications, which took place online, had closed on October 20, but that the system would open for late applications again between November 1 and November 10.

“No new applications will be processed in January 2018, as schools are full.”

He said that because of the strain, budget cuts had to be made, such as the withdrawal of tablets for students.

Now only matric students would receive tablets. He added that they would have to go on credit to feed the children and provide them with transport.

With the 2017 National Senior Certificate Examinations beginning on Monday, Lesufi said he was confident that they would be conducted successfully.

“We wish all our learners strength and success during this stressful period and appeal to everyone to provide the necessary support.” — News24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Alex Mitchley
Alex Mitchley
South African Journalist at News24

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Medical aids blame external costs as fees increase beyond inflation

Medical aid is becoming more of a luxury for many South Africans, and it’s not about to get any better

Mahikeng compounds its mess

The ailing town that wasted R2-billion appoints a municipal manager rated ‘basic’, the lowest level

More top stories

Freedom Under Law sends letter of demand to JSC on...

The letter follows the commission’s insistence that the embattled Western Cape judge president will partake in this week’s interviews of candidates

Diko to challenge step-aside ruling

Khusela Diko’s lawyers say she has appealed an instruction to step down from her position on the ANC provincial executive committee after a finding that she brought the party into disrepute

Zuma’s legal team withdraws in wake of appeal court’s ruling...

Eric Mabuza notified the high court and NPA of his decision just weeks before the former president goes on trial for corruption

JSC will deliberate Hlophe’s fate on June 4

The Judicial Service Commission said in a letter to the Cape Bar that the judge president would participate in interviews of aspirant judges in his division
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…