Mantashe faces heat as ANC lock horns over ‘festival of chairs’

UPDATE: The ANC has released a statement condemning reports that discussions are underway to remove Gwede Mantashe from his position as secretary general. See the  statement below.

Because of the serious nature of the rumours, the ANC has decided to depart from normal procedure and issue this statement which unequivocally dismisses claims made by nameless and faceless sources that there are discussions underway to remove from his position the secretary general of the ANC, Comrade Gwede Mantashe. These rumors are peddled to sow confusion and division within the movement and are indicative of the media’s laziness and total disregard for proper journalistic ethics in favor of populism and sensationalism.


A heated battle over the fate of the ANC’s chaotic Eastern Cape elective conference – dubbed the “festival of chairs” – is expected to continue on Monday when the National Executive Committee reconvenes.

News24 understands the special NEC meeting had to be adjourned on Saturday and abandoned on Sunday as African National Congress secretary general Gwede Mantashe faced the ire of President Jacob Zuma’s supporters for his handling of the conference.

The meeting differed sharply over reports by the NEC deployees and the provincial executive committee on the fate of the PEC that was elected at the fractious and violent elective conference held in October.


Sources said the NEC deployees to the conference and the newly elected provincial executive committee tabled very similar reports.

At least seven delegates were taken to hospital and one was wheeled out of the conference venue on a stretcher when violence erupted during the adoption of delegates’ credentials. Footage obtained by News24 showed delegates throwing chairs at each other.

‘Violent’ conference
Those aligned to Zuma in the NEC are said to have argued that the NEC deployees’ report was “flawed” with several things “missing” and Mantashe was slammed for allowing the elective conference to go ahead.

“Some openly accused him of being biased,” an NEC member told News24.

However, he disputed reports that there was a proposal for Mantashe to be suspended over the issue during the NEC meeting.

“That conference was violent – we can’t condone it or we will be setting a dangerous precedent. We have in the past disbanded the provincial executive committee of the North West because delegates threw bottles at each other. In the Eastern Cape blood was spilled, how can we condone it?” the NEC member asked.

Another NEC member said the weekend meeting had to be adjourned after members of the National Working Committee started contradicting each other.

“It looked like Gwede wrote his own thing, as the NWC members were contradicting each other, that is why it was decided it was best that the NWC meets separately and report back to the NEC,” the source said.

“There was another recommendation that the appeal… [against] the conference must be heard by lawyers, but we kicked it out saying ANC matters can’t be resolved by lawyers,” he said.

NEC deployees are accused of going ahead with the conference despite then chair Phumulo Masualle adjourning it, credentials not being adopted and some delegates walking out.

“Masualle was asked if he was accepting [his] nomination while he was in hospital. What is that?”

Deliberations
NEC members who attended the conference included Zizi Kodwa, Bheki Cele, Lindiwe Zulu and Jackson Mthembu.

The NEC was adjourned on Saturday and scheduled to meet again on Sunday at 16:00.

However, the meeting had to be postponed again to 18:00 and later a decision was taken to reconvene on Monday because the NWC had yet to conclude its deliberations.

The NWC visited the province earlier this month and met with the newly elected PEC, and new provincial chair Oscar Mabuyane.

Those aligned to Masualle are heading to court this week in an attempt to nullify the conference.

At the time, sources close to the NWC deliberations with the province, said that Zuma and deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa differed sharply, with Zuma critical of Ramaphosa for endorsing the chaotic conference and the NEC deployees who oversaw the conference.

Ramaphosa was forced to apologise for saying the event was a “festival of chairs”, during his closing address of the conference.

Zuma supporters want the previous PEC headed by Masualle to be reinstated, but to operate as a task team with limited powers.

The report of the NWC is expected to be presented to the NEC when it meets today at 10:00 on Monday. – News24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Mahlatse Mahlase
Mahlatse Mahlase works from Jozi. Group Editor-IN-Chief EWN : [email protected] Mahlatse Mahlase has over 36181 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

Sekhukhune’s five-year battle for water back in court

The residents of five villages are calling for the district municipal manager to be arrested

The media is dead, long live the king

The state of King Mswati’s health is just one of many contentious issues that cannot be reported on in eSwatini

Fees free fall, independent schools close

Parents have lost their jobs or had salaries cut; without state help the schools just can’t survive

Special Investigating Unit probes Covid-19 tenderpreneurs

The SIU is investigating 102 companies doing business with the provincial government in Gauteng alone

The Audi TT’s last dance

With its breed quickly becoming extinct, the Audi TT is as close as you’re going to get to a bad boy. This flashy player has one last run in the team before they are replaced by a new practical, statistical-friendly crop.

Businesses should use alternative energy sources, industry bodies advise

Business associations are urging companies to continue seeking alternative energy sources in light of Eskom’s court judgement which would allow the utility to bump up electricity prices up to 15% from next year April 2021.
Advertising

Sekhukhune’s five-year battle for water back in court

The residents of five villages are calling for the district municipal manager to be arrested

Fees free fall, independent schools close

Parents have lost their jobs or had salaries cut; without state help the schools just can’t survive

Vaccine trial results due in December

If successful, it will then have to be manufactured and distributed

White men still rule and earn more

Women and black people occupy only a few seats at the JSE table, the latest PwC report has found
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday