We're hiring: Chief Financial Officer
About the position:
The Mail & Guardian seeks to employ a CFO who will be a strategic advisor to the CEO and the board of directors. The purpose of the role is to provide leadership in the design and implementation of industry best practice for financial processes and systems, ensuring the integrity of the financial and operational reporting and the effective use of resources.
The CFO will be responsible for directing the company’s financial goals and objectives, risk and budget management.
The CFO will also supervise cash flow management activities, direct cost-benefit analyses, execute capital-raising strategies, and deal with mergers and acquisitions as required.
- Work with the CEO and other senior stakeholders to shape the strategic vision of the company.
- Provide strategic direction for the accounting and finance functions to optimise the company’s financial performance.
- Contribute to the development of company strategy across all areas of the business, challenging assumptions and decision making as appropriate and providing financial analyses and guidance on all activities, plans, targets and business drivers.
- Ensure corporate budgeting processes are carried out and reviewed.
- Take responsibility for company cash management policies.
- Perform treasury functions of working capital and debt management
- Develop/ enhance accounting and finance policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Manage and oversee independent auditors.
- Manage financial and operational contracts.
- Retain, hire and train accounting and finance human resources.
- Develop financial awareness and maintain effective working relationships with employees holding budgetary responsibility across the company
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with external parties including investors and advisors.
- Assist the CEO in preparation of the monthly financial and performance report to the Board
Qualifications and experience:
- Professional accountancy qualification (CA (SA)/CGMA) or MBA preferred with at least 10 years’ experience.
- Experience in working with Boards of Directors.
- Detailed understanding of IFRS reporting standards, King Report on Corporate Governance, GAAP, Income Tax Act and other statutory requirements.
- Background and experience in turnaround strategies advantageous
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications specifically, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Proven track record of managing budgets, developing business plans and strategy, producing business cases, and executing transactions.
- Proven staff management record
- Ability to operate at both a strategic and operational level
- Corporate Finance
- Cash management
- Commercially astute
- Commitment to good governance
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent presentation skills with an ability to present and advise on complex financial issues.
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Professional demeanour
- Team worker able to collaborate and delegate
- Proven commitment to continuous professional development
- Strong commitment to accuracy and quality
- Ambitious, self-confident, motivated with a passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth.
If you are interested in this job, please email your resume to [email protected] or call Agness Ganje on 011 250 7300 for further information.