Cape Town taxi strike called off

The taxi strike that saw at least three buses set alight in the Western Cape on Monday has been called off.

READ MORE: How one word sparked the Western Cape taxi strike

ANC member of provincial parliament Cameron Dugmore confirmed that the strike was called off after the party engaged with the minibus taxi industry task team (MTITT) on Monday evening at Cosatu offices in Cape Town.

“They agreed to end the strike on our request and our commitment to bring the affected parties together,” said Dugmore.

Taxi association Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association (Cata) also informed commuters of the end of the strike in a Facebook post on Monday night.

According to eNCA, Achmat Dyason, adviser to MTITT confirmed the decision to call off the strike came as a result of the intervention of the provincial ANC.


Buses were set alight in Khayelitsha in the early hours of Monday morning, and thousands of commuters were left stranded.

Cape Town fire and rescue services spokesperson Theo Layne had earlier said a bus was set alight in a protest-related incident, in Shushu Crescent, Khayelitsha, just before 05:00.

City of Cape Town director for traffic and law enforcement Robbie Roberts had reported that two Golden Arrow buses were set alight.

He said one was set on fire next to False Bay College in Lingelethu West, while another was on fire in Tutu Avenue, Makhaza.

Western Cape taxi drivers had embarked on a strike in a dispute over a conference which was supposed to have been held to resolve a leadership dispute over the provincial arm of the South African National Taxi Council (Santaco).

On June 6 the Western Cape high court ordered that Santaco convene a conference to resolve the Western Cape taxi industry’s issues over leadership and differences over clauses in Santaco’s constitution. — News24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African connection: How mercenaries aided Trump ally in...

The UN found that Trump ally Erik Prince violated the Libyan arms embargo. Here are the South Africans the report says helped him to do so

Q&A Sessions: African court ‘will be a tough job’ — Dumisa...

Lawyer, author and political activist Dumisa Ntsebeza talks to Nicolene de Wee about his appointment as judge of the African Court on Human and...

More top stories

In a bizarre twist VBS liquidators sue KPMG for R863mn

In filed court documents, the VBS liquidators are blaming auditing firm KPMG’s negligence for the alleged looting of the bank

Snip, snip: Mboweni eyes wage bill, other future spending cuts

Last year, the finance minister noted that increased government spending has failed to promote growth over the past decade

Budget: Mboweni pegs recovery hopes on vaccine efficacy, lower public...

The treasury forecasts 3.3% growth, but warns this will fall to 1.6% if the fledgeling vaccination programme fails to stem successive Covid waves

READ IT IN FULL: Mboweni’s 2021 budget speech

Read the finance minister's address on the budget for 2021
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…