Top US, Mexico diplomats meet in Washington amid migrant crisis

Mexico’s new Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard met with United States secretary of state Mike Pompeo on Sunday for what he called a “friendly” meeting amid tensions over the migrant crisis at the border.

The talks came one day after Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador took office as Mexico’s new president.

“Friendly conversation as a first approach towards a long standing understanding between Mexico and the USA,” Ebrard said on Twitter.

“I thank him for his attitude and respect towards the new administration of President Lopez Obrador.”

Lopez Obrador, known as AMLO for short, is a leftist who was sworn in on Saturday, five months after a landslide election win.

On Sunday, Pompeo and Ebrard discussed a “shared commitment to address our common challenges and opportunities for the future,” according to State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert.

The two countries are grappling with how to handle the thousands of Central American migrants who are camped at the common border — in the short and long terms.

President Donald Trump is pressuring Lopez Obrador to accept a deal to keep asylum-seeking migrants in Mexico while their claims are processed in the United States.

Last week, Ebrard said he would like to see a sort of “Marshall Plan” to foster development in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, akin to what the United States did to help rebuild Europe after World War II.

Ebrard said such a plan would help shrink the number of migrants fleeing violence and poverty in their home countries and heading to the United States.

New shelter in Tijuana for migrants

On Sunday, officials in the Mexican border city of Tijuana shut down a makeshift shelter in a sports complex housing migrants, citing unsanitary conditions, and moved them to a different facility.

Of the original 6 000 migrants who had massed in the city, only about 2 000 went to the new centre, a city official told AFP.

Cold temperatures and driving rain made conditions in the open-air shelter too difficult.

Another 500 remained near the original site, fearing the move was a precursor to being deported, and were sleeping in the streets, the official said.

The whereabouts of the rest were not known.

The migrants, most of them from gang-plagued Honduras, had travelled for weeks hoping to reach the United States.

A week ago, US authorities fired tear gas and rubber bullets at about 500 migrants including women and children who had tried to breach the US-Mexico border.

The confrontation prompted hundreds of migrants to either head home or seek to remain in Mexico.

© Agence France-Presse

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Agency
External source
Advertisting

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders