A post template

No image available
/ 7 December 2007

Cyclone intensifies as it heads towards Fiji

A tropical cyclone bearing down on the South Pacific island nation of Fiji has intensified into a category-four storm, the second most powerful cyclone, with destructive winds up to 200km/h. Cyclone Daman is expected to hit the nation’s second largest island Vanua Levu early on Saturday, officials said, as people began moving to higher ground.

No image available
/ 7 December 2007

From bling to the ring

It is not difficult to dislike Floyd Mayweather. This is the man who has turned the concept of bad-mouthing his opponents into an art form, wears more bling jewellery than the average New York pimp and throws bills into the crowds in Las Vegas nightclubs.

No image available
/ 7 December 2007

Yengeni policeman faces criminal probe

Police are investigating charges of corruption and obstruction of justice against a senior Cape Town policeman involved in Tony Yengeni’s alleged drunk-driving saga. Provincial police spokesperson Novel Potelwa said that Goodwood station commissioner, Senior Superintendent Siphiwe Hewana, had also been suspended without pay, and faced an internal disciplinary hearing.

No image available
/ 7 December 2007

Teenager killed eight after losing job

The teenage gunman who shot dead eight people at a Nebraska shopping mall before turning the gun on himself had lost his job at McDonald’s hours earlier after being accused of stealing from the till. Robert Hawkins (19) emerged on Thursday as a high school dropout who had spent four years in foster care.

No image available
/ 7 December 2007

Tanker leaks oil after hit off South Korea coast

A large oil tanker was gushing thousands of tonnes of oil off South Korea’s west coast after being hit a barge, South Korea’s maritime ministry said on Friday. The Hong Kong-registered Hebei Spirit was struck while at anchor off Daesan port in the Taean region and the ministry said it had already leaked about 10 800 tonnes of crude oil into the sea.

No image available
/ 7 December 2007

CIA destroyed video of ‘waterboarding’ detainees

The CIA destroyed video evidence of the coercive interrogation of al-Qaeda operatives held under its secret rendition programme in order to shield agents from prosecution, it was revealed on Thursday. The decision to destroy two videotapes documenting the use of waterboarding against Abu Zubaydah and another high-value al-Qaeda detainee was made in November 2005.