A post template

No image available
/ 14 August 2006

Shaik trial: Judgement reserved in SABC application

The Supreme Court of Appeal on Monday reserved judgement in an application by the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) to broadcast the upcoming appeal hearing of Durban businessman Schabir Shaik on television and radio. The public broadcaster seeks to record and broadcast the five-day appeal hearing with live visuals and sound for television and radio.

No image available
/ 14 August 2006

What SA’s Aids data means for the future

A growing number of HIV-positive people in South Africa are living normal lives in one of the countries worst hit by Aids. But this maturing stage in the epidemic brings new policy dilemmas for officials seeking to track Africa’s expanding Aids crisis and to make long-term plans to treat millions of infected people.

No image available
/ 14 August 2006

SA cricketers rattled by Colombo blast

Sri Lankan cricket officials said security concerns following Monday’s bombing in the capital won’t stop the cricket tri-series, but South Africa indicated they may pull out of the tour. At least seven people, including four army commandos, were killed and several others were wounded when a rickshaw packed with explosives blew up.

No image available
/ 14 August 2006

Students, management of Pretoria university to meet

Management of the University of Pretoria are to meet student leaders on Monday afternoon to try resolve the impasse over the future of the university’s Mamelodi campus, vice-chancellor Calie Pistorius said. Students have damaged property in protests against the announcement, at the end of last month, that the university planned to phase out undergraduate programmes at the campus.

No image available
/ 14 August 2006

DA welcomes SACP talk of ‘going it alone’

South Africa’s official opposition Democratic Alliance has welcomed the indication from the South African Communist Party (SACP) that it may go it alone in the next election. DA finance spokesperson Ian Davidson was reacting to reports following the 17th plenary session of the SACP’s central committee held in Johannesburg at the weekend.

No image available
/ 14 August 2006

Jock goes Disney in the Lowveld

The Lowveld is playing host to the first South African animated feature film, a R15-million production based on Sir Percy Fitzpatrick’s classic tale Jock of the Bushveld. Film producer and director Duncan MacNellie originally adapted the story to film back in 1986 in a version that featured Gordon Mulholland and Jonathan Rands.

No image available
/ 14 August 2006

Inquest finds that pilot error killed Hansie

Pilot error caused the air crash that claimed the life of former South Africa cricket captain Hansie Cronje, an inquest unanimously concluded on Monday. The presiding officer, Judge Siraj Desai, said it was the court’s view that the death of Cronje was brought about ”by an act or omission prima facie amounting to an offence” on the part of pilots.