No image available
/ 11 August 2004

Ostrich culling continues — in secret

A 24-hour hotline for concerned members of the public and farmers became operational on Wednesday, as the culling of thousands of ostriches entered its second day in the Eastern Cape. A media photographer was earlier on Wednesday turned away from a farm where the culling of the infected birds is taking place.

No image available
/ 10 August 2004

Boeremag had breeding plans

The Boeremag dreamed of using a building like that of Armscor in Pretoria as a sort of breeding farm for ”a new [Afrikaner] nation”, the city’s High Court heard on Tuesday. Free State potato farmer Henk van Zyl also told the court of a plan to blow up Afrikaans comedian Casper de Vries because ”he was not on the right path”.

No image available
/ 10 August 2004

DA wants list of MPs implicated in Travelgate

The Democratic Alliance has again urged the Speaker of Parliament to publish the list of MPs implicated in the so-called travel scam, involving the alleged fraudulent use of parliamentary travel vouchers. ”The scam surrounding MPs’ travel vouchers is doing great damage to Parliament,” DA chief whip Douglas Gibson said.

No image available
/ 10 August 2004

Union calls Telkom strike

A nationwide strike against Telkom’s plan to retrench workers will be organised by the Communication Workers’ Union (CWU). CWU president Joe Chauke said on Tuesday the union is not convinced by the telecommunication utility’s rationale for retrenchments. The CWU said the strike is scheduled for August 27.

No image available
/ 10 August 2004

Big Y’ello taxi

South African mobile operator MTN and the South African National Taxi Council on Tuesday launched the Ring’uvaya (phone while you travel) initiative, which will equip South African taxis with pay phones, enabling commuters to make phone calls in the taxi. KwaZulu-Natal is the first province that will get Ring’uvaya phones.

No image available
/ 6 August 2004

Burundi takes another step on the road to peace

The majority of Burundian parties early on Friday signed a power-sharing deal brokered by South African Deputy President Jacob Zuma to pave the way for elections in the Central African nation which has been ravaged by war. Twenty parties inked the deal in Pretoria but 10 did not sign — a fact which did not faze either Zuma or Carolyn McAskie, the head of the United Nations mission in Burundi.

No image available
/ 6 August 2004

Concerns about Zimbabwe maize shortages

Zimbabwe’s Grain Marketing Board has received about 119 000 tons of maize, out of an expected 1,2-million tons since the beginning of the marketing season in April, the United Nations’ Integrated Regional Information Network (Irin) on Friday quoted Zimbabwe state newspaper The Herald as saying.

No image available
/ 5 August 2004

The Cape gets wet

Torrential rain on Thursday brought chaos to Cape Town, flooding shack areas and roads and causing major traffic snarl-ups. Several people were ferried to higher ground by boat from the aptly named River Club in Observatory when the nearby Liesbeeck River burst its banks. Informal settlements were also affected.

No image available
/ 5 August 2004

‘No stone unturned’ in terror case

The South African government vowed on Thursday to continue exerting diplomatic pressure to gain access to two of its citizens being held in Pakistan since July 25 on terrorism accusations. Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Aziz Pahad reiterated that South African authorities have no indication of any terrorist threat against the country.

No image available
/ 5 August 2004

Private health sector needs to be ‘restructured’

The private health sector needs to be restructured as its current structure allows financial interests to take precedence over the interests of patients, Minister of Health Manto Tshabalala-Msimang said on Thursday. She said it is a system that has been abused by some and detracts from the constructive role that the private sector plays.

No image available
/ 5 August 2004

Road-rage murder case postponed

Road-rage accused Edward Kekana appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday. The 34-year-old man from Sophiatown, Johannesburg, was arrested over a road-rage incident at the weekend that left three people dead and one wounded. The case was postponed until next Tuesday for a bail application.

No image available
/ 5 August 2004

Deputy mayor dies in office

The deputy mayor of Buffalo City, which includes East London, collapsed and died in his office on Wednesday afternoon, a spokesperson said on Thursday. Colleagues heard a noise in 49-year-old Des Halley’s office at the end of a day packed with meetings, and on investigation found that he had collapsed.

No image available
/ 5 August 2004

Resurrection or rip-off: Family waits

The family of Paul Meintjes of Hertzogville, whose resurrection was predicted by a "prophet" after his death about five weeks ago, has not yet made arrangements to remove the body from the town’s mortuary, mortician Nico Foulds said on Thursday. Meintjes’s body has been kept frozen in the town’s mortuary since July 1.

No image available
/ 4 August 2004

Bird-flu fears grip Cape ostrich industry

A suspected outbreak of avian influenza (bird flu) in the Eastern Cape province has halted all movement of ostriches to the Western Cape until a confirmed diagnosis has been made regarding the cause of serious mortalities at three ostrich farms in the Cradock-Somerset East region of the Eastern Cape.

No image available
/ 4 August 2004

Wage deal struck in auto industry

More than 20 000 workers are to get average wage hikes of 7,5% thanks to a deal signed by the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa and the Automobile Manufacturers Employers’ Organisation. The agreement was signed in Pretoria after three months’ negotiations.

No image available
/ 4 August 2004

More home affairs officials in court

Four Free State department of home affairs officials and a policeman appeared in the Ficksburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday on corruption charges, Free State police said. The five were arrested on Monday, bringing to 39 the number of people arrested since an investigation began into corruption at home affairs offices in the province.

No image available
/ 4 August 2004

Report: Insider trading down in SA

Market participants have the impression that insider trading in South African has decreased, according to a report released on Wednesday. ”The new regime has changed prevailing attitudes to insider trading, resulted in new policies and approaches among listed corporates and their advisers,” said the chairperson of the Insider Trading Directorate.

No image available
/ 4 August 2004

‘No comment’ on terror threat claims

While the police and the government declined to comment on Wednesday on claims that two citizens held in Pakistan were plotting attacks on South African tourist destinations, the Democratic Alliance urged the authorities to keep the public properly informed of any real danger.
<li><a class=’standardtextsmall’ href="http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?ao=119792">’Terror’ pair under lock and key</a>
<li><a class=’standardtextsmall’ href="http://www.mg.co.za/Content/pd.asp?ao=119782">’Terror’ pair were to ‘attack Jo’burg'</a>

No image available
/ 4 August 2004

Doing time: The long wait for justice in SA’s jails

At any given moment about 25 000 accused have been in prison in South Africa awaiting trial for over three months, and some have been there since 1996. ”Part of the Bill of Rights says that there should be no undue delay in concluding criminal trials. However, the reality is that these unsentenced prisoners often spend 23 hours of the day in a cell, with no rehabilitation, no work and no recreation.”

No image available
/ 3 August 2004

Johnnic may retrench 35 media workers

About 35 workers may be retrenched from the Sowetan and the Sowetan Sunday World, following the newspapers’ recent purchase by Johnnic Communications, the Media Workers Association (Mwasa) said on Tuesday. The feared job losses stem from the purchase of the two newspapers from New Africa Publishing Limited.