No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Wallmansthal claimants to receive title deeds

After years of waiting, thousands of people who lodged a claim to have their land at Wallmansthal, north of Pretoria, returned to them will on Saturday receive the deeds of their stands. The land set to be restored measures 4 186ha. Approximately 4 270 people will benefit from the settlement, the Land Claims Commission said on Thursday.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Great Trek memorial saga goes to court

Standerton residents, AfriForum and the mayor of the Lekwa municipality, Queen Radebe-Khumalo, will face off in the Pretoria High Court in November over a damaged Great Trek memorial. The Standerton Action Committee and AfriForum have asked the Pretoria High Court that Radebe-Khumalo be ordered to rebuild a Great Trek memorial that she ordered to be destroyed.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

SA blogs on the rise

Something is stirring in the South African blogosphere, says electronic-media analyst Arthur Goldstuck. This year will probably be remembered as a time when blogs came of age, with more than 600 000 internet users visiting blogs by their fellow South Africans in just one month.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

DA MPs walk out of National Assembly

The majority of the members of the opposition Democratic Alliance (DA) walked out of the National Assembly on Thursday after speaker Baleka Mbete officially suspended one of them for five days. Health spokesperson Mike Waters upset the speaker on Wednesday when he challenged her ruling that a question directed to Manto Tshabalala Msimang was out of order.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

ID accuses NPP of ‘misinformation campaign’

The newly formed National People’s Party (NPP) on Thursday claimed that five former members of the Independent Democrats (ID) had crossed the floor, bringing their Cape Town metro seats with them. However, the ID said two of the five — Abdulla Omar and Aaron Kallie — were expelled from the party before the floor-crossing window opened.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Moves afoot to rejuvenate army

Efforts to rejuvenate the South African Army will see 3 000 new recruits being taken in next year, with the figure shooting up to 7 000 in 2009, it was announced on Thursday. ”We need a young and fit group of soldiers,” army chief General Solly Shoke told reporters in Pretoria.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Matric pupils held at gunpoint while writing exam

Kempton Park matric students were held up at gunpoint five minutes before the end of a preliminary exam, it was reported on Thursday. Oxford Combined School principal Pierre de Lange said that 54 students, supervised by four staff members, were nearing the end of their accounting exam on Wednesday when they were held at gunpoint while the school was robbed.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Report: Verification shows mystery gem is diamond

The mystery gem discovered in the North West last week has been certified as a diamond, according to a report in the <i>Mining Weekly</i> on Thursday morning. According to the weekly trade publication, verification of the gem, which is believed to be the largest diamond discovery in the world, has been completed and a certificate was expected to be available by 1pm.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

JSE up as resources shine on Anglo, BHP

The JSE all-share index held onto its gains at midday on Tuesday, with the resource index shining brightly — underpinned by good buying interest in resource stocks Anglo American and BHP Billiton. By noon, the all-share index rose 0,50%. Resources advanced 1,25% and the gold mining index edged up 0,38%.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Egypt lead list of Nations contenders

Holders Egypt head the list of heavyweight contenders seeking to confirm their qualification for next year’s African Nations Cup finals this weekend. A win in Burundi on Sunday would ensure Egypt finish top of their group and join the seven teams already through to the 16-team finals being hosted by Ghana in January.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Union opposes SAA restructuring plan

The South African Transport and Allied Workers’ Union on Wednesday vowed to counter a South African Airways (SAA) restructuring plan, saying management had lied to it and that ”the laws of the jungle shall now apply”. The union issued a statement after the airline’s chief executive, Khaya Ngqula, told media on Wednesday that it was essential to revise work packages.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Mboweni: Tentative signs of spending easing

South African Reserve Bank Governor Tito Mboweni said on Thursday that while there were some tentative indications of a slowdown in consumption, such as vehicle sales, it was still "early days". Mboweni said that while the current account deficit was being adequately financed by financial inflows, there might be inflationary pressures in the future if the deficit widened.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Brangelina’s car

General Motors (GM) is making a point of acknowledging girl power with the launch of the Chevrolet Captiva. Using the blockbuster movie <i>Mr & Mrs Smith</i> as a premise, GM went to great lengths to accentuate the versatility and over all appeal of its latest SUV.

No image available
/ 6 September 2007

Black diamonds and emaciated white girls

”Regardless of the BEE types’ penchant for emaciated white girls whose figures might be attributed to the sort of galloping bulimia offensive to any self-respecting peasant living below the bread line, it is time to ensure transformation occurs at all levels of society. Including the air-heads,” writes Niren Tolsi.

No image available
/ 5 September 2007

SA to celebrate under one cloud of braai smoke

Archbishop Desmond Tutu and thousands of South Africans will soon ”thank heavens it’s Braai Day”. Its purpose — to unite all those who live in the country — is close to Tutu’s heart, who was made the first patron of National Braai Day on Wednesday. The day will coincide with National Heritage Day on September 24.

No image available
/ 5 September 2007

Loots Bosman to face disciplinary hearing

Proteas opening batsman Loots Bosman is to face a disciplinary hearing following comments he allegedly made about being excluded from the Twenty20 World Championship team because of a back injury. Cricket South Africa (CSA) said on Wednesday that Bosman will appear before CSA disciplinary commissioner Michael Kuper SC.

No image available
/ 5 September 2007

SABC slammed over Sanef withdrawal

The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) had demonstrated nothing but arrogance in pulling out of the South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) over reports about Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, said the Media Institute of Southern Africa on Wednesday.

No image available
/ 5 September 2007

Cops: Pupils were aided in ‘witchcraft’ burnings

Youths who allegedly burnt two 60-year old women to death over a witchcraft claim are believed to have received the assistance from the local community, police said on Wednesday. Police spokesperson Jabulani Mdletshe said police believed the double murder was pre-planned and that residents from the Manguzi area in northern KwaZulu-Natal had assisted.

No image available
/ 5 September 2007

Manto theft question rouses Assembly

There was an uproar in the National Assembly on Wednesday when a Democratic Alliance MP was ordered to leave after a written question he posed to the health minister was ruled out of order. The question was whether the minister had been convicted of theft and whether she had disclosed this information to President Thabo Mbeki.

No image available
/ 5 September 2007

SAA talking to unions on restructuring

South African Airways (SAA) is finalising the standardisation of working conditions with trade unions in its ”deep and fundamental” restructuring process, chief executive Khaya Ngqula said on Wednesday. He also said the process of grounding SAA’s costly Boeing 747-400 fleet by November is on track.

No image available
/ 5 September 2007

Manuel: Provincial govt spending has improved

The latest spending patterns by provincial departments show a measurable improvement, Finance Minister Trevor Manuel said on Wednesday. Although provinces still face capacity challenges, there is improvement, he told journalists during the Treasury’s tabling of provincial budgets and expenditure review in Parliament.