The African National Congress (ANC) on Monday condemned what it said was ”abusive ranting” by union leader Zwelinzima Vavi on Cabinet ministers. Vavi, who is the general secretary of the Congress of South African Trade Unions, said at the weekend that some ministers were ”deadwoods who remain untouchable”, and that some were ”dying on duty”.
The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) on Monday demanded action against Limpopo farmers who arrest Zimbabwean border-crossers, but the farmers said they were merely protecting private property. The rounding up of Zimbabwean migrants by farm patrols was reminiscent of apartheid-era white farm commandos, Cosatu said.
Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang is demanding the Sunday Times retract ”malicious, untrue and injurious statements” made about her. This follows a weekend front-page report, under the headline ”Manto’s Hospital Booze Binge”, in which it is alleged the minister consumed excessive amounts of alcohol while in hospital.
Gauteng’s public works department denied a Democratic Alliance (DA) claim that hospital generators were no longer being tested weekly after maintenance contracts had been cancelled in June. Spokesperson Alfred Nhlapo said the system that had replaced the contracts, involving a pool of contractors, was better than what had been available under the previous system.
The Presidency has dismissed newspaper allegations concerning Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, saying they do not warrant President Thabo Mbeki taking action against her. Earlier, it was reported Tshabalala-Msimang was to seek legal advice about a Sunday Times report alleging she went on a ”hospital booze binge”.
About 3 500 mine workers will continue their strike over low salaries on Tuesday, trade union Solidarity said. Spokesperson Reint Dykema said Solidarity members started striking at coal mines around the country on Monday over an inadequate pay offer, particularly for artisans.
An American fingerprint expert on Monday accused South African police of fabricating fingerprint evidence to secure a conviction in the Inge Lotz hammer murder. The expert, Pat Wertheim, was the first witness called in defence of accused Fred van der Vyver, who has elected not to testify himself.
Springbok coach Jake White has named a near full-strength side for South Africa’s first World Cup warm-up match against Namibia at Newlands on Wednesday. The match will see the return to action for the Springboks of scrumhalf Fourie du Preez, who’s recovered from injury that kept him out of action during the Boks’ other Tests this year.
Former Pan Africanist Congress (PAC) leader Motsoko Pheko is an opportunist who wants his dismissal from the party postponed forever, the Cape High Court heard on Monday. Opposing Pheko’s court bid to stop the PAC replacing him as an MP, PAC legal representative advocate Thami Ncoagwane said Pheko had been making contradictory requests to various courts.
The 24-hour power failure at Johannesburg’s Coronation Hospital on the weekend should serve as a wake-up call on maintenance work, the Democratic Alliance (DA) said on Monday. Jack Bloom, Gauteng health spokesperson for the party, warned that hospitals in the province were at dire risk because maintenance contracts had been cancelled.
The Department of Minerals and Energy said on Monday that it wants to create a new industry around nuclear energy. Speaking at the release of the draft Nuclear Energy Policy and Strategy for public comment, the department’s director general, Sandile Noxina, said such a new industry would lead to the creation of jobs.
As an Anglican row over gay clergy deepens, growing numbers of conservative American priests are abandoning the liberal United States church and pledging allegiance to traditionalist African bishops instead. Africans, who take a tough line on homosexuality, are keen to recruit the dissident priests as bishops under their own authority.
About 3 500 mine workers downed tools on Monday over low salaries, trade union Solidarity said. Spokesperson Reint Dykema said Solidarity members were striking at coal mines around the country over an inadequate pay offer, particularly for artisans.
Vosloorus police said on Monday they knew nothing about a man who claimed his group of disgruntled unemployed people were behind a spate of ATM bombings. The Sowetan newspaper reported on Monday that Plaatjie Mashego, said to be a former Umkhonto weSizwe operative, had claimed responsibility for recent ATM blasts across the country.
Two speeding motorists caught with laser jammers in their cars have been charged with exceeding the speed limit and defeating the ends of justice, Johannesburg metro police said on Sunday. The two were among 37 motorists arrested for speeding in the city over the weekend.
A motorist was slightly injured when her car was stoned, then overturned by a rioting mob just off the R511, in Diepsloot, on Sunday night, said Netcare 911. She was taken to hospital with a laceration to her head, said Netcare 911 spokesperson Mark Stokoe.
Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang is consulting her lawyers over a Sunday Times article alleging she demanded alcohol while she was being treated at the Cape Town Medi-Clinic in 2005. In a brief statement released on Sunday the ministry labelled the article ”false”.
The debate on a United States of Africa is set to continue at the Southern African Development Community (SADC) meeting scheduled to begin in Lusaka, Zambia, on Tuesday. In a statement released on Sunday, the Foreign Affairs Ministry said the SADC Council of Ministers would discuss a report on regional economic integration.
The deputy manager at the East London Hospital Complex, known for its high infant mortality rates, is a fraud convict who has served time in a United States prison, the Independent Online reported on Sunday. Dr Nokuzola Ntshona was convicted in 1996 by a New York court for fraudulent healthcare claims in the early 1990s.
The unveiling by the Department of Home Affairs of a resurrected plan for refugees has come too late for thousands of Zimbabweans, the Democratic Alliance (DA) said on Sunday. DA spokesperson for home affairs Mark Lowe said the failure of the department to admit to a refugee crisis was a reflection of ”incompetence and ignorance”.
About 3 500 Solidarity mine workers will down tools on Sunday over low salaries, the trade union said. Plans for the strike ”are on track”, said spokesperson Reint Dykema. The union is to go on strike at coal mines around the country over an inadequate pay offer, particularly for artisans.
The Blue Bulls played better than the scoreline of 44-18 in favour of the Free State Cheetahs indicated in Bloemfontein on Saturday. Free State led 10-6 at half-time. The difference between the two sides was the impact the replacements made for the home team.
President Thabo Mbeki wrapped up his two-day imbizo in the Eastern Cape on a positive note after interacting with stakeholders, communities and different spheres of government. Spokesperson Mukoni Ratshitanga said Mbeki was particularly pleased with the support the Ukhahlamba district gave to a R1,5-billion PG Bison Project.
Leading 22-15 at half-time, Western Province, in spite of trailing 25-22 for all of 22 minutes during the second half, squeezed home 30-25 in a closely fought Currie Cup fixture played in Kimberley on Saturday. Scoring their match-winning and bonus-point-earning fourth try with 10 minutes remaining, Province returned home with a full-house five points.
Premier Soccer League champions Mamelodi Sundowns discovered, to their delight, what a difference a week can make in gaining a comfortable 4-1 win against Bloemfontein Celtic as the Supa8 tournament was launched in balmy, spring conditions at Loftus on Saturday afternoon.
The Golden Lions secured a hard-fought win of 15-10 over a gallant Boland Cavaliers side in a mud bath in Wellington after leading 7-3 at half-time. With playing conditions almost impossible and several spots on the field ankle deep with water, both sides made several handling errors that led to scrum after scrum.
Failure to elect an African National Congress (ANC) leadership that respects the party’s branches and the tripartite alliance would lead to a right-wing victory within the ruling party, Congress of South African Trade Unions secretary general Zwelinzima Vavi said on Saturday.
South Africa have left batsman Jacques Kallis out of the squad for next month’s Twenty20 World Championship that they are hosting, it was announced on Saturday. Kallis, South Africa’s leading run-scorer in Tests and one-day internationals, has been criticised in the past for slow scoring in limited-overs matches.
Former deputy health minister Nozizwe Madlala-Routledge was fired for her inability to work as part of the ”collective” and for undertaking a trip to Madrid against President Thabo Mbeki’s orders. This is according to the letter Mbeki sent to Madlala-Routledge on Wednesday firing her. The Presidency released the letter on Saturday to ”prevent further speculation.”
President Thabo Mbeki made 80-year old Evelina Mokwena of Dukathole, Aliwal North, in the Eastern Cape, the proud owner of a house on Saturday. The president handed over the house to Mokwena who has lived in a shack for more than 10 years.
The Sharks beat the Valke 45-22 in an Absa Currie Cup game at the Bosman Stadium in Brakpan on Friday night but only entertained their travelling supporters in the first half as they scored five tries to the Valke’s one. Prop Kees Lensing opened the scoring with a try as early as the third minute, which Rory Kockott converted.
The Johannesburg High Court on Friday dismissed a procedural application within an urgent application filed by the South African Broadcasting Corporation’s (SABC) head of legal services, Mafika Sihlali, against the broadcaster. Sihlali was taking the SABC to court in a desperate effort to save his career.