S1 Ep11: The Tongues of Brixton
Brixton, we have a problem.
But instead of sulking in the corner, the vocal residents of this diverse working-class suburb in Jo’burg are finding solutions that are progressive and inclusive.
While far from perfect, they show the rest of Johannesburg that there’s hope where people work together.
Host: Charles Leonard
Guests: Faswillah Nattabi; Mark Schaerer; Mantis Shabane & Sharize Schaerer.
Photograph: Mantis Shabane by Charles Leonard
Compiled, produced, hosted & engineered by Charles Leonard.
Recorded in July 2023 for the Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS).
- The Clash – The Guns of Brixton
- Dub Spencer & Trance Hill – Guns of Brixton (Manasseh Dub 4)
- Geoffrey Oryema – Lubanga
- Rhythm & Sound – Queen Version
- The Dynamics – Pull Up Your Socks