Alex Forsyth-Thompson wants to leave a legacy as someone who added value to and innovated in the South African business world.
The 35-year-old has gone a long way to achieving that as founder and chief executive of Float, a market-leading payments fintech start-up that is changing the way people do payments in South Africa.
The Stellenbosch Business School graduate is responsible for the vision and strategic direction of the company, and oversees other functions, such as sales, business development, partnerships and product development. The 35-year-old lists among his achievements being chairperson of the Junior Board at Alexander Forbes and winning the Gold Award in recognition of service to the group for launching an innovation.
Alex was head and co-founder of Alexander Forbes: Stokvel Investments, which was named by Moneyweb.co.za as one of the 10 most innovative financial products launched in 2015. He was on the Destiny Man “Power of 40” list in 2017.
- BCom Management Sciences, Stellenbosch University
- PGD Diploma in Financial Planning, Stellenbosch Business School
- Certified Financial Planner, The Financial Planning Institute of South Africa
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Charterholder, CFA Institute
- Chairperson of the Junior Board at Alexander Forbes Alexander Forbes Gold Award in recognition of service to the Alexander Forbes Group in launching a new innovation Destiny Man “Power of 40” list in 2017.
- Alexander Forbes: Stokvel Investments, of which I was the Head and co-founder, was named one of 10 of the most innovative financial products launched in 2015, by Moneyweb.co.za.
Simply watched my dad build his own business and constantly innovate to stay ahead of the pack.
In the first five years of your career, prioritise learning above anything else. Then leave to start your own thing as early as possible.
Less corruption and red tape. More entrepreneurship and innovation. I firmly believe that if the government can successfully enable and partner with the private sector, this country will be among the greatest in the world.