/ 4 September 2003

King agrees to investigate rugby racism

Former judge Edwin King has agreed to lead the independent investigation called by the South African Rugby Football Union (Sarfu) to look into allegations of racism within the Springbok camp.

Sarfu confirmed this on Wednesday afternoon and said two more persons would King in the investigation — Dr Julian Smith, who is the vice-principal of the University of Stellenbosch, and Nona Gosa, a Cape Town-based advocate.

Sarfu’s executive officer, Veleli Ncula, said that the deputy president of the Supreme Court of Appeal in Bloemfontein, Judge Lex Mpati, had also been approached by Sarfu to work with King.

”The terms of reference of the investigation will be finalised in the next two days and the investigation will begin as soon as it is practically possible,” said a Sarfu statement on Wednesday afternoon.

”Sarfu are setting up administrative structures for the investigation. Judge King will soon begin studying documentation relevant to the case and compiling a list of people who should be called to give evidence.

”The investigation, which has been set up to establish facts in response to allegations that have been made, will be based in Cape Town but investigators will travel also to speak to witnesses.

”Whilst the exact time frame of the investigation cannot be determined, Sarfu are hopeful that it can be concluded in the shortest possible time. The findings will only be released once the investigation is complete.”

This follows the resignation of Springbok communications manager Mark Keohane on Tuesday and a day of meetings between prominent rugby officials following the Geo Cronje/Quinton Davids alleged racism debacle.

Keohane said in a strongly worded resignation statement that he had handed over a report on the alleged prejudice to SA Rugby managing director Rian Oberholzer.

SA Rugby and Sarfu saw his allegations in such a serious light that they decided on an independent investigation.

King, who also led the Hansie Cronje probe into cricket match-fixing, was approached by Sarfu to lead the investigation on Tuesday.

Oberholzer, responding to Keohane’s resignation, told Beeld: ”It is a pity that his knowledge is lost to Springbok rugby. He said it is important to get to the bottom of the matter.

”However, we should be mindful not to pre-empt the outcome, thereby making the same mistakes that were made with Geo Cronje.”

Oberholzer said he was crucified in a similar manner (concerning Cronje) over his handling of the matter. He decided that Cronje should leave the national training camp based on discussions with Springbok coach Rudolf Straeuli and team manager Gideon Sam.

”The way in which I was accused and criticised harmed my family. I have already spoken to my lawyers and I am currently considering legal steps against certain parties.”

Presidents of provincial unions who had questions over Oberholzer ahead of Tuesday’s meetings gave him their full support after the meetings.

Oberholzer explained that their earlier views were based on perceptions. On Tuesday, he said, they heard the facts.

A Sarfu statement on Tuesday said: ”The board and the executive also reaffirmed their full and unequivocal support for Mr Oberholzer, and dismissed all allegations and criticisms levelled against him via the media, and through other sources.

”The board and executive expressed dismay at the manner in which Mr Oberholzer had been treated by sections of the media and others over the past few days,” the statement concluded

The initial furore erupted last Thursday when it was reported that Cronje, a white lock from the Bulls, had allegedly refused to share a room or bathroom with Quinton Davids, a black lock from Western Province.

Although Cronje was later found not guilty, neither he nor Davids was selected for Straeuli’s World Cup squad announced on Saturday.

Minister of Sport and Recreation Ngconde Balfour on Tuesday called Keohane’s resignation ”drastic” but one that could not be lightly dismissed. ”It is, however, important that all South Africans must remain rational and calm in dealing with this issue.

”Keohane’s specific allegation of prejudice within the squad is cause for concern and must be addressed at the highest level. Any allegation of prejudice, more so if it has racial undertones, must never be treated lightly, no matter the source of its origins.

”The report that he has submitted to SA Rugby should not be viewed as an attempt to undermine rugby or to bring the sport and its leadership into disrepute. Rather, it should be used in conjunction with reports from members of the Springbok management to address areas of concern in order to bring the focus back to the preparation of our team for the World Cup.

”Now is not the time for recriminations and apportioning blame. Solutions are needed and I wish to call on all stakeholders in rugby and the public to allow the sport the space to tackle problems that might exist.

”We must at all costs prevent polarised positions from taking a hold in rugby and instead concentrate our efforts on finding solutions that will be to the benefit of the sport.” — Sapa