UK In Illegal South Africa Arms Deals

David Pallister

SOUTH AFRICA is negotiating with Britain to limit any embarrassment about the disclosure of illegal defence equipment sales to the former apartheid government, according to the planning director of Armscor, the country’s weapons procurement agency.

Dr Andre Buys’ revelation was made at a conference for British defence contractors and Whitehall officials at King’s College in London on Monday.

He said defence contracts still existed, with both governments and private companies, which were made contrary to the United Nations arms embargo and, in some cases, to domestic legisation.


Although he declined to give details, he added: “This could be an embarrassment to (the countries), and we are discussing at a diplomatic level if they have any objections to these being disclosed.”

Asked if the countries included Britain, he replied: “Yes.”

Later, Buys said South Africa was discussing the “question of transparency” in arms transfers with Britain. He hoped all the main contracts could be made public.

A Foreign Office spokesman confirmed that talks had taken place, but he gave a different explanation. “We have offered to advise the South African government on export control procedures for defence equipment,” he said.

In particular Britain wanted new arms deals to be covered by a commercial confidentiality clause. “We did not grant export licences to South Africa for defence equipment during the period of the embargo.”

While Britain has allowed the export to South Africa of dual- use equipment, which had unambiguous military applications, all known cases of arms embargo violations have concerned private firms.

However, Royal Ordnance, when it was still nationalised in the early 1980s, was part of a European cartel which shipped military explosives to South Africa.

Two weeks ago Defence Minister Joe Modise revealed that Israel had been the biggest arms sanctions buster.

Buys’ presentation of South Africa’s defence industry was part of a worldwide campaign by Armscor to increase arms sales.

He disclosed that in 1992/93, a year before the embargo was lifted, South Africa exported arms worth R800-million, of which 42 percent went to the Middle East, 22 percent to Asia, 14 percent to the Far East, seven percent to Latin America, 10 percent to Africa and one percent to North America.

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

2019: The ones who left us

From Uyinene Mrwetyana, Oliver Mtukudzi to Xolani Gwala, Mail & Guardian remembers those who have passed on

More battles ahead for domestic worker unions

Florence Sosiba, speaks to the Mail & Guardian about how important domestic workers are and exclusion in the COIDA

“Life has been good to me, considering where I come from” – Xolani Gwala

Just over a year ago, veteran radio presenter Xolani Gwala’s cancer was in remission. He spoke to the Mail & Guardian once he was back on air.

Kanya Cekeshe’s lawyer appeals decision not to grant him bail to the high court

Kanya Cekeshe’s legal team filed an urgent appeal at the Johannesburg high court on Tuesday against Monday’s judgment by magistrate Theunis Carstens.

Leader’s principal aim to build IFP

Gravitas: Velenkosini Hlabisa brings his experience to his new post as leader of the Inkatha Freedom Party.

Police Minister Bheke Cele addresses Jeppestown

Police minister Bheki Cele visited Jeppestown on Tuesday to speak to business owners and community leaders.
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…