To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
16 Jul 1997 00:00
THE Truth and Reconciliation Commission has served subpoenas on three members of the former SA Defence Force’s notorious dirty tricks squad the Civil Co-operation Bureau, TRC investigative unit head Dumisa Ntesebeza confirmed on Wednesday.
Ntsebeza said former CCB managing director Joe Verster, treasurer Wouter Basson, alias Christo Brits (not to be confused with SADF chemical weapons expert Dr Wouter Basson), and operative “Slang” van Zyl have been subpoenaed and will testify before in camera hearings between August 18 and 20 in Cape Town.
Ntsebeza said the three will be questioned on the bombing of the Early Learning Centre in Athlone in August 1989, the death of Edward “Peaches” Gordon and the parcel bomb that maimed anti-apartheid activist Father Michael Lapsley in Harare in 1990.
“In our investigations it is becoming increasingly clear that we need their input,” Ntsebeza said. “We need more information from them.
We also need to clarify certain aspects.”
The three previously testified before the Harms commission of inquiry in 1990 and are the first CCB operatives to be subpoenaed to appear before the Truth Commission.
“They are entitled to appoint legal representatives. If they are not financially capable of doing so, the TRC may appoint legal representatives to assist them,” Ntsebeza added.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?