A Chinese military submarine has been wrecked in a disaster which killed all 70 of its crew, Beijing said last night, breaking its usual silence on military accidents.
The submarine had suffered a ”mechanical malfunction” while on a training exercise off the north-east coast, and ”the 70 crew have all died from the accident”, according to China Radio International.
The crippled sub had been towed back to port, and its wreckage was now being ”handled with care,” said the report.
Former president Jiang Zemin had sent his condolences to the families of those who died in the accident, saying that ”all the crew have loyally fulfilled their duty — and made great contributions to the country’s national defence”.
The reports on radio and the official Xinhua news agency did not indicate when the accident happened or how the sailors died. They merely said that it happened ”recently” in Chinese territorial waters east of the Neichangshan islands, off the coast of the north-east province of Liaoning.
However, even this scant information is a sharp departure from the complete black-out which the Chinese military have previously imposed on military accidents, which are regarded as top secret.
Publication of the news may reflect the more open approach beginning to be adopted by the leadership of current president Hu Jintao, elected at the National People’s Congress in March.
After the recent cover-up in Beijing of the growing Sars epidemic was exposed, Hu and his premier Wen Jiabao issued instructions calling for a more open approach.
The Chinese authorities may also be anxious to prevent rumours spreading in an area where incorrect stories could have dangerous consequences.
By stating that the submarine in question was a conventional one, the report deters speculation that the accident might have involved one of China’s nuclear powered craft.
China is believed to have a fleet of 60-70 operational submarines of which the majority are ageing and only a handful are nuclear-powered.
The bulk of the conventional fleet is composed of Ming and Romeo class submarines, based on obsolete Soviet designs, which are now only useful for coastal defence.
A small number of more modern ex-Russian Kilo attack submarines are also in service, as well as a Chinese-built Song class.
There has been speculation that the US spy plane forced to land on Hainan island two years ago was attempting to monitor Chinese construction of more modern craft. These would include a powerful version of the Kilo and a new nuclear-powered submarine.
Jiang, who has remained silent so far on the Sars epidemic, retains power as head of the Communist party’s military commission, in whose name he expressed condolences.
The Chinese navy, one of the principal components of the People’s Liberation Army, is regarded as an elite service. It is frequently praised for its work in patrolling the Chinese coastline and ”defending the motherland”.
Its most visible action in recent years was in patrolling the Taiwan Straits during 1995-96. It has also defended China’s claims to the scattered islands of the South China sea.
However, its relatively low-level capability is an indication that China is making no attempt to challenge the strategic maritime superiority of the US.
China will not allow foreign tourists to go to Tibet or other western regions of the country in an effort to curb the spread of Sars, the Xinhua news agency reported yesterday.
Travel agencies have been told to delay all tourism to the region until the end of May, Xinhua said.
China has cut short the May Day holiday and banned travel agencies from taking Chinese citizens outside their home provinces.
The Xinhua report, however, was the first government announcement banning travel by foreigners.
The state tourism administration banned travel to Tibet on April 25, Xinhua said. The report did not say when travel to other parts of China’s west was banned or whether foreign tour groups that were already in Tibet would have to leave immediately.
Sars has killed at least 181 people throughout China. No cases have been reported in Tibet, but Chinese officials have warned of a potential disaster if the disease spreads into such poor regions, which lack adequate sanitation and health care systems. – Guardian Unlimited Â