Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Sun Air goes belly up

The domestic airline Sun Air, operating between Johannesburg and Cape Town, was liquidated on Tuesday and all flights have been cancelled until further notice, the managing director said.

Rowald Kresfelder said the airline was liquidated at 5pm after suffering losses and developing a cash flow problem during the past four months.

”We had a bad December, January and February and that caused the problem,” he said.

All flights had been cancelled and the airline would remain dormant until a new investor could be found. It is the second time Sun Air has gone belly up. The first time was in 1999 when it was run by British Airways/Comair.

At that stage South African Airways wanted to buy a 75% stake in the airline. The other 25% would have been owned by British Airways/Comair.

SAA however withdrew its offer for the majority stake and Sun Air died a quiet death.

In March 2002 it was revived with two aircraft and two flights a day between Johannesburg and Cape Town. The new Sun Air catered for business executives and operated from the much quieter Lanseria airport north of Johannesburg, as opposed to Johannesburg International Airport in Kempton Park.

Sun Air tried to establish a niche market, according to the then managing director Johan Botha.

Sun Air’s trademark was its red leather seats on the two DC 9-32 planes and Botha was confident that the airline would prosper. Its owners were Airquarius Contracts and Million Air Charter.

On Tuesday Kresfelder said the liquidation was ”devastating” for the airline’s 40 employees. – Sapa

Vote for an informed choice

We’re dropping the paywall this week so that everyone can access all our stories for free, and get the information they need in the run up to the local government elections. For the latest updates and political analysis, sign up to our daily elections newsletter.

If our coverage helps inform your decision, cast your vote for an informed public and join our subscriber community. Right now, a full year’s access is just R510, half the usual cost. Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

DA-run metro favoured in citizen satisfaction survey

Cape Town emerged as the leader on overall citizen satisfaction for the fifth consecutive year, followed by Ekurhuleni

Cities will feel the heat from climate change

South Africa’s urban areas are urban heat islands and heat waves will intensify the distress

Former Eskom finance manager found guilty of R35m fraud

Bernard Moraka and Victor Tshabalala, the director of a coal transport company, defrauded the power utility by claiming payments for work not done

Riots leave ugly scars as Richmond braces itself to go...

With many job losses caused by the looting and arson of July, the Midlands town faces an uncertain future
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×