/ 3 August 2004

Injury keeps SA hockey player from Olympics

The South African Olympics team have suffered their first withdrawal after the women’s hockey striker, Bronwyn Ross, withdrew due to injury on Tuesday.

On the day of the team’s departure to Athens, Ross, who twisted her ankle during training at the weekend, was told that her injury will not recover in time.

The obviously disappointed Ross was told by chief medical officer Professor Wayne Derman and a Pretoria orthopaedic surgeon that her injury requires a period of physiotherapy and rehabilitation.

”The nature of the injury is a grade I to II lateral ankle ligament tear,” said Derman.

Her replacement is Gauteng’s Tsoanelo Pholo, who was part of the squad who won gold at last year’s All African Games in Abuja.

Hockey team manager Jo Morley-Jepson said it is a huge blow to the side, especially the fact that Ross has been part of the team’s two-year Olympic preparations. However, she said that the team are very happy for Pholo, who has also been training with the squad over the past couple of years.

The National Olympic Committee of South Africa (Nocsa) said it is extremely disappointed at the news.

”Nocsa and all the athletes would like to wish Bronwyn well over her recovery period. Our thoughts are with her, ” said Hajera Kajee, chef de mission of the South African team. — Sapa