Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Road-rage accused appears in court

A 34-year-old man appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday in connection with the killing of three people during a road-rage incident at the weekend, Johannesburg police said.

Inspector Amanda Roestoff said Edward Maesela Kekana from Triomf, west of Johannesburg, will remain in custody until Thursday for a bail application.

Three people were killed and another one wounded in the incident at Unigray on Saturday night.

Roestoff said on Monday the man had been arrested at the Booysens police station after the investigating officers obtained two statements from witnesses.

”Based on facts supplied in the witness statements, police [initiated] the arrest. The man was called in to report at the station, and upon his arrival they read him his rights. He was charged for a triple murder and one attempted murder.”

The man was driving a Toyota Conquest with his headlights set on bright in Regina Street, Unigray, at about 11.30pm, while on his way to his sister’s house.

A bakkie with six occupants followed the man to his sister’s house, where an argument ensued. The men broke his car window and pulled him out of the car, threatening to kill him. The driver then pulled out his firearm and fired several shots.

The attackers tried to drive away, but their bakkie overturned.

Jan Verster (37), from South Hills, was shot in the stomach. Tony Vilente (65), from Germiston, was shot in the chest and back. Both men, who were married, died at the scene.

Roestoff said it is not yet clear whether the third man, 32-year-old Frans Chilane from South Hills, who was found outside his bakkie, died of gunshot wounds or whether he died when the bakkie overturned.

”Police are awaiting the results of a post mortem to determine the cause of death.”

Verster’s son Stephan (16) remained in a critical condition on Monday at the Chris Hani-Baragwanath hospital. He was shot in the chest.

A 38-year-old man, also from South Hills, and a 17-year-old boy from Boksburg North were not injured in the incident. Roestoff said their names cannot be revealed.

On Saturday, after the incident, police had confiscated the driver’s firearm, but did not arrest him. It had appeared he had acted in self-defence, Roestoff said on Sunday. — Sapa

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Eastern Cape premier Mabuyane lives large amid province’s poverty

Oscar Mabuyane and MEC Babalo Madikizela allegedly used a portion of state funds for struggle icon Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s commemoration for their own benefit

Constitutional court confirms warrantless searches in cordoned off areas unconstitutional

The law was challenged in response to raids in inner Johannesburg seemingly targeting illegal immigrants and the highest court has pronounced itself 10 days before an election in which then mayor Herman Mashaba has campaigned on an anti-foreigner ticket

A blunt Mantashe makes no promises during election campaigning

ANC chairperson Gwede Mantashe told people in Daveyton to stop expecting handouts from the government

Mbeki: Social compact the answer to promises made in ANC...

Former president Thabo Mbeki urged business and government and society to work together to tackle issues such as poverty, unemployment and poor services and infrastructure
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×