Russian submariner: 'It was cold, cold, very cold'

Russian crewmen walked ashore unsteadily, rescued from a three-day ordeal after their mini-submarine surfaced with all seven crew members safe after being trapped deep under the Pacific Ocean in the frigid darkness.

“It was cold, cold, very cold. I can’t even describe it,” one crew member with reddish hair said as the sailors walked ashore Sunday with dazed looks and bloodshot eyes after their submarine was cut loose from fishing net cables that had snagged it by a

British remote-controlled rescue vehicle.

Commander Ian Riches, the British Royal Navy officer who led the successful operation using the remote-controlled Super Scorpio, hailed the joint rescue mission with the Russian Pacific Fleet as a “marvelous example” of international cooperation.

“It was a difficult operation, but we enjoyed doing it,” he said as he arrived ashore at Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in the early hours of Monday local time.

“The team are over the moon that we have got these guys out alive,” he added, saying he was “elated”.

The men aboard the AS-28 mini-submarine—six sailors and a representative of the company that made the ship—opened the hatch and climbed out without assistance, officials said.

Six were taken to a hospital on the mainland for examination, waving to relatives as they went in. The seventh was kept aboard a hospital ship for unspecified reasons.
They appeared to be in “satisfactory” condition, naval spokesperson Captain Igor Dygalo said.

At the edge of the gangplank leading off the ship that brought the crew to shore, the submarine’s commander Lieutenant Vyacheslav Milashevsky held a long and solemn salute, then a slight smile crossed his face.

He was pale but told journalists he felt “fine” before climbing into a van with the others for the trip to the hospital. Another crew member in the van looked from side to side, gazing at the green trees and gray skies.

Milashevsky’s wife, Yelena, said earlier that she was overjoyed upon hearing about the rescue. “I was happy. I cried from happiness. I danced,” she told Channel One television.

The men had worn thermal suits to protect them against temperatures of about 4,4° C and were told to lie flat and breathe as lightly as possible during the rescue effort, officials said. To conserve electricity, lights were turned off and contact with the surface was kept to a minimum.

The crew member with reddish hair said he felt OK and was eager to be reunited with his wife and daughter. He was then ushered into the van taking the men to the hospital and did not reply when asked his name.

Russian authorities thanked the British and praised the international rescue effort that included the United States, but criticism quickly arose over why the nation’s once-formidable navy needed outside help.

The relief over the successful rescue attempt was in sharp contrast to the sinking of the Kursk nuclear submarine in August 2000, when Russian authorities held off asking for outside assistance until hope was nearly exhausted; all 118 crew members died.

President Vladimir Putin was criticised then for reluctance to seek international help and for remaining on vacation as the disaster unfolded. The president has been silent through the present crisis as well, although his spokesperson Alexei Gromov said Putin was grateful to all those involved in the rescue operation.

Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov, who supervised the rescue operation from a navy ship, clenched his fists and shook them in happiness when he saw the red-and-white-striped sub surfacing.

“We have seen in deeds, not in words, what the brotherhood of the sea means,” he said.

The Foreign Ministry also issued a statement praising the joint actions of the Russian, British and US militaries in the “unique rescue operation.” It also thanked Japan, which it said also responded to the request for help.

The United States sent remote-controlled underwater vehicles for the rescue. They arrived several hours later and were not used, but three American divers and a doctor accompanied the British vessel on its mission.

The jubilation came after three tense days that started on Thursday when the 13.4-meter (44-foot) submarine got stranded in 180m of water about 15km off Kamchatka’s east coast.

Russian ships first tried to tow the sub to shallower water where divers could reach it but were able to move it only about 80m in Beryozovaya Bay.

The British Super Scorpio, sent in response to Russia’s urgent call for help, arrived on Saturday and spent six hours the next day cutting away the fishing net cables that had snarled the Russian vessel and its propeller.

Riches said the most nerve-racking point in the operation was when the Russian submarine broke free from the cables and disappeared from the camera’s sight before surfacing at about 4.26pm.

“She moved and we lost her out of the camera ... and it was then waiting on the surface waiting for her to arrive. Whether she’s going to make it all the way up, we didn’t know where she was after that. That was really the tensest moment,” he said.

The circumstances surrounding the cause of the accident remained unclear.

Putin ordered the defence minister to launch an investigation.

Dygalo declined comment when asked about how the sub was trapped, saying only that it had been “engaged in planned manoeuvres”.

Some naval officials had said the submarine was participating in a combat training exercise when it got caught on an underwater antenna assembly that is part of a coastal monitoring system.

But Riches, the British commander, said the vessel had become tangled in fishing nets, as had been originally reported.

“The submarine was caught very firm into the fishing nets and had driven into them so that they were very tight and they actually looked and behaved like steel wires, so it was very, very difficult to cut through with cutting implements,” said Riches.

Russia’s cash-strapped navy apparently lacks rescue vehicles capable of operating at the depth where the sub was stranded.

The new crisis indicated that Putin’s promises to improve the navy’s equipment have had little effect. He was sharply criticised for his slow response to the Kursk crisis and reluctance to accept foreign assistance.

New criticism arose within hours of Sunday’s rescue. Dmitry Rogozin, head of the nationalist Rodina party in the lower house of Parliament, said he would demand an assessment from the military prosecutor’s office of the navy’s performance in the incident, the Interfax news agency reported.

Rogozin said he wants to know why Russia has not acquired underwater vehicles similar to the ones provided by Britain and the United States and “why fishing nets and cables litter the area of naval manoeuvres”. - Sapa-AP

Client Media Releases

There are property opportunities for entrepreneurs in a slow economy
Rosebank College alumnus establishes thriving tour operating business
First two MTN CakeCrush Competition winners announced
Sebata establishes Skills Development Centre