The South African Revenue Service (Sars) has served African National Congress deputy president Jacob Zuma with a summons after he apparently failed to submit his tax return, the Sunday Independent reported.
According to the Independent, Zuma’s attorney Michael Hulley collected the summons from the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.
The summons questions the completeness of Zuma’s disclosure of his income and his failure to submit a tax return. While refusing to go into detail, Hurley said the tax return had been filed late.
”We have no comment … we consider Mr Zuma’s tax affairs to be private and so there is nothing to say,” he said.
Following Wednesday’s summons, Hulley struck a deal with Sars that the information it requested would be furnished in early April, the newspaper reported.
Sars spokesperson Adrian Lackay refused to comment on the matter, saying that no Sars official may disclose information regarding the tax matters of a taxpayer. — Sapa