Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Ugandan rebel commander surrenders in DRC

A commander of Uganda’s Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) has surrendered in northern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and is in the custody of Congolese authorities, the United Nations said on Tuesday.

Opiyo Makasi, reported to be the rebel group’s operations and logistics commander, gave himself up along with his wife and they were transferred to Kinshasa on October 14, said Kemal Saiki, spokesperson for the UN mission in Congo (Monuc).

Revising an earlier version he gave which said Makasi had given himself up to UN peacekeepers, Saiki said the LRA officer had surrendered to Congolese police at Dungu in DRC’s northern Orientale province, which borders Sudan.

”He was supposed to be handed over to Monuc,” the UN spokesperson said, adding Makasi was being held by the Congolese authorities.

LRA leaders, whose brutal 20-year war in northern Uganda killed tens of thousands of people and displaced two million more, signed a truce with Uganda last year but have refused to quit their jungle hideouts in eastern DRC.

Saiki said the UN mission believed Makasi should be eligible for Monuc’s demobilisation and repatriation programme for ex-combatants who turned themselves in, meaning he should be sent back to Uganda.

”There was a request from Monuc that he be handed over for DDRRR [disarmament, demobilisation, repatriation, resettlement and reintegration] … there has been no response so far from the Congolese,” he said.

There was no immediate comment from the Congolese government.

Makasi is not one of the four top LRA commanders indicted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague for crimes such as killing civilians, slicing body parts off victims and kidnapping thousands of children to serve as fighters and sex slaves.

Those four, including LRA leader and self-proclaimed mystic Joseph Kony and his deputy, Vincent Otti, remain at large.

In northern Uganda, one of Makasi’s uncles told local media he was overjoyed his nephew had made the ”wise decision” to abandon the rebellion, and called for him to receive government protection so he could return to his family.

A Ugandan army spokesperson told Reuters the military was pleased with his surrender, but that it did not change the threat the LRA still posed to residents in the north.

”For us, a peace accord is more important,” he said.

The cessation of hostilities the LRA signed with the government last year has been largely respected, but the guerrilla group has said it will never sign a final peace deal unless the ICC drops the indictments against its leaders.

DRC’s 1998 to 2003 war sucked in six other nations, and rebels from neighbouring Uganda and Rwanda still roam parts of the volatile east, where the UN-backed Congolese army is battling several armed groups. — Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Eastern Cape premier Mabuyane lives large amid province’s poverty

Oscar Mabuyane and MEC Babalo Madikizela allegedly used a portion of state funds for struggle icon Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s commemoration for their own benefit

Constitutional court confirms warrantless searches in cordoned off areas unconstitutional

The law was challenged in response to raids in inner Johannesburg seemingly targeting illegal immigrants and the highest court has pronounced itself 10 days before an election in which then mayor Herman Mashaba has campaigned on an anti-foreigner ticket

A blunt Mantashe makes no promises during election campaigning

ANC chairperson Gwede Mantashe told people in Daveyton to stop expecting handouts from the government

Mbeki: Social compact the answer to promises made in ANC...

Former president Thabo Mbeki urged business and government and society to work together to tackle issues such as poverty, unemployment and poor services and infrastructure
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×