Pikoli makes submission to Ginwala commission

The Ginwala Commission of Inquiry on Friday received a submission from suspended National Director of Public Prosecutions Vusi Pikoli.

The submission was delivered to Ginwala’s offices before midday. It was Pikoli’s response to a government submission received by the commission in January.

Commission deputy secretary Lawson Naidoo said Pikoli’s submission would now be considered and made available to the government.

The government has until February 25 to respond to the submission, he said.

Thereafter, in terms of the rules establishing the commission, Ginwala will decide whether to call for a hearing after receiving all the submissions, and also whether this will be held in public or private.

President Thabo Mbeki suspended Pikoli on September 24 last year, and four days later, appointed Ginwala — the former speaker of the National Assembly — to head the inquiry.

Its terms of reference cover two broad areas: Pikoli’s fitness to hold office and the breakdown of the working relationship between himself and Justice and Constitutional Development Minister Brigitte Mabandla. — Sapa

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

No good will come of overturning Roe v Wade

The US supreme court’s ruling on landmark abortion case will be felt most keenly by women

Citizens expect ‘bloodshed’ ahead of Zim’s 2023 elections

Human rights body says research indicates the polls are viewed as a nightmare instead of an opportunity

New Joburg high school boasts a R3m eSports Arena

The tech-forward school requires every child to purchase an Asus laptop, use Microsoft software for lessons and check-in daily on a mental wellbeing app

UPDATED: Eskom confirms stage dix load-shedding from 4pm to 10pm...

The power utility says it experienced unplanned losses of 14 204 megawatts as wage-related protest action intensified
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×