Former Macedonian minister not guilty of war crimes

A United Nations tribunal on Thursday acquitted Macedonia’s former interior minister of murder, cruel treatment and other war crimes stemming from a 2001 police attack on an ethnic Albanian village that left seven men dead.

However, the police officer who led the attack was convicted of murder in three of the deaths and sentenced to 12 years in prison.

Supporters in the court’s public gallery cheered and clapped as Judge Kevin Parker announced that Ljube Boskovski (47) had been cleared of all charges and ordered him released.

The ruling said prosecutors did not show that Boskovski had failed to take ”necessary and reasonable measures” to punish the police officers who ravaged the town of Ljuboten, 10km north of the capital, Skopje.

Former police officer Johan Tarculovsky (33) showed no emotion as his sentence was read out for three murders, cruelty and wanton destruction. He was exonerated of responsibility for the four other deaths.

Parker said Tarculovsky played a prominent role in ”a deliberate and indiscriminate attack on residents of Albanian ethnicity involving acts of murder”.

The attack on Ljuboten is the only atrocity in Macedonia indicted by the UN’s International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.

The country broke away peacefully from the Yugoslavia in 1991 but was rocked by a six-month conflict 10 years later between government forces and ethnic Albanians fighting for more rights.

The village was targeted because it was believed to support the Albanian National Liberation Army (NLA), Parker said.

He said the attack ”was not a law-enforcement operation to locate and arrest NLA members. The predominant objective … was to retaliate against persons of Albanian ethnicity in the village for actions of the NLA, which the village was thought to harbour.”

Many Macedonians regard both Boskovski and Tarculovsky as heroes.

The government said before their trial started in April 2007 that it was providing ”moral, financial and institutional support” for the two men and their families.

The Ljuboten case was the last indictment issued by the UN tribunal for crimes committed during the bloody break-up of Yugoslavia.

The court is scheduled to close its doors by 2010, even though its two most-wanted suspects, former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and his military chief, General Ratko Mladic, remain at large. — Sapa-AP

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Police intelligence surprised by July unrest ‘modus operandi’

Minister of police only receives information from national commissioner that relates to him, commission hears

Revenue Service appeals to ConCourt to keep Zuma’s tax secrets

The high court ruled banning the release of tax information was unconstitutional. Sars disagrees, saying is not only wrong but makes an exception of the former president

ANC halts mayoral elections in Limpopo

The party’s provincial secretary says the appointment of new mayors will wait until dispute investigations are completed

Shabir Madhi: SA scientists were responsible when announcing Omicron

But the virologist urges caution before scientists make blanket public announcements that can lead to ‘hasty’ international decisions
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×