Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Hlophe’s statements ‘amount to gross misconduct’

Cape Judge President John Hlophe admitted to gross misconduct in an affidavit before the Johannesburg High Court, a lawyer said on Wednesday.

”We say the applicant’s [behaviour] violates the elementary principle of judicial ethics,” said advocate Gilbert Marcus SC.

Marcus was addressing the court in an unprecedented case where Hlophe is seeking a declaration that actions by the Constitutional Court against him be declared unlawful.

Marcus is representing the judges of the Constitutional Court, who stand accused of infringing Hlophe’s right to human dignity by distributing a media statement on alleged misconduct by him before offering him an opportunity to respond.

The Constitutional Court judges released a statement on June 30, charging that Hlophe allegedly tried to improperly influence Judge Bess Nkabinde and Acting Judge Chris Jafta in a case related to corruption charges against ruling party president Jacob Zuma.

Marcus said that Hlophe, in his papers before the court, gave details of the conversations he had with the two judges in an attempt to defend himself against the charges that he tried to influence their decisions in the Zuma case.

Marcus quoted Hlophe as saying to the judges, ”I felt strongly about privilege and fair rights” and ”the Zuma matter had to be correctly decided on”.

Marcus said these statements — made by Hlophe’s own admission — already amounted to misconduct.

”That, with respect, amounts to gross misconduct,” Marcus told the court. ”On his own version, that is what occurred.”

He further argued that the judges of the Constitutional Court did not need to offer Hlophe an opportunity to respond to the charges before making them public.

Marcus said the complaint was laid by the judges in their individual capacities and not as a court of law.

That meant there was ”no obligation” to offer him a chance to respond. If the complaint had been laid by the court as an institution, Hlophe would have been able to demand a hearing. But that was not the case here, said Marcus.

The hearing was briefly delayed on Wednesday morning when Hlophe’s lawyer, Dumisa Ntsebeza, objected to the court’s invitation to advocate Wim Trengove SC to act as a friend of the court in the case.

Trengove represented the state in the Constitutional Court case dealing with search-and-seizure raids related to Zuma’s corruption charges. Ntsebeza raised questions over Trengove’s independence.

A full Bench of five judges heard arguments on the matter before withdrawing the invitation.

”Given the sensitivities that have developed around this matter, a court would not like any party to be uncomfortable,” said Judge Phineas Mojapelo.

The five judges are Mojapelo, Antonie Gildenhuys, Dirk Marais, Seun Moshidi and Rami Mathopo.

The case continues. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Fienie Grobler
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘People feel they have a stake in SAA’ — Gidon...

Interest in the beleaguered national carrier, which has received billions of rands in public funding, means criticism is inevitable

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

More top stories

Eskom to take over distribution, billing at troubled Free State...

The Maluti-a-Phofung local municipality owes the power utility more than R5-billion

WATCH IT LIVE: Ramaphosa addresses the nation

The president will give an update on developments in South Africa's response to the Covid-19 pandemic

ANC committed to paying staff salaries, but employees are not...

ANC staffers picketed outside Luthuli House on Tuesday after months of problems with salary payments

Kanalelo Boloetsi: Taking on Lesotho’s cellphone giants, and winning

A man who took on cellphone data regulators over out-of-bundle rates is featured in this edition of a series on human rights defenders in the SADC region
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×