‘Keep ’em coming, barman’

Thousands of football fans and players visiting South Africa for the 2010 Fifa World Cup could be excused if they take the country’s drunk driving laws with a pinch of salt.

The man tasked with safeguarding the biggest event this country has ever hosted is himself a drunk driver who will be tried for this crime for the third time in February 2009.

The Mail & Guardian has established that Linda Mti, the beleaguered former commissioner of correctional services, has a criminal record after being convicted in 1992 by a Port Elizabeth court for driving under the influence of alcohol and reckless and negligent driving.

Mti was sentenced to two months’ imprisonment or a R400 fine. At the time he was the ANC’s Eastern Cape chairperson.

Two years later he was appointed a member of Parliament, where he chaired the portfolio committee on safety and security, and in 1996 Cabinet assigned Mti to chair the National Intelligence Coordinating Committee.

In 2001 President Thabo Mbeki appointed Mti head of prisons, a position he vacated early and under a cloud in 2006 after being linked to companies whose multimillion-rand contracts with the department of correctional service form part of a fraud investigation by the Special Investigating Unit.

Mti was subsequently appointed head of security for the 2010 Local Organising Committee, but has since kept a low profile, with police Deputy National Commissioner André Pruis being the face of South Africa’s preparations to present a crime-free football World Cup in two years’ time.

Mti has been arrested at least three times for driving under the influence of alcohol.

  • The M&G has seen Mti’s 1992 criminal record, which shows the convictions for drunk driving and reckless and negligent driving.
  • In 2005 Mti, then prisons boss, was arrested outside Port Elizabeth’s Boardwalk Casino after being involved in an accident with another vehicle late at night. He was subsequently charged with drunk driving.The Herald reported that police at the scene of the accident claimed Mti was rude, asking whether they knew who he was. After initially withdrawing the charges, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has decided to push ahead with the case — on Wednesday the trial was postponed to February next year.
  • The Hillbrow Magistrate’s Court controversially acquitted Mti in June this year for allegedly crashing into another car while driving drunk in Johannesburg peak hour traffic in November 2006. The police officer at the scene said Mti asked him if he knew who he was. Blood tests showed that Mti was more than four times over the legal limit, but a botch-up by prosecutors, for which they were given written warnings by the NPA, led to him walking out of court a free man.

The M&G wasn’t successful in obtaining comment from Mbeki’s office, local organising committee chief executive Danny Jordaan or Mti this week. Mbeki and Jordaan were asked whether they were aware of Mti’s criminal record before appointing him and why they deemed him a suitable appointee to a security portfolio. Mti previously blamed the media for portraying him as a drunk after his 2006 Johannesburg accident.

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories