Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Bakili Muluzi vows to fight axing as Malawi candidate

Malawi’s former president Bakili Muluzi vowed on Saturday to fight the election commission’s decision to bar him from running for president in
May elections.

The Malawi Electoral Commission disqualified Muluzi from running in the May 19 election because he has already hit a two-term limit after serving from 1994 to 2004.

He tried and failed to amend the Constitution to allow him to serve a third consecutive term, but had filed his candidacy in hopes of returning to power this year.

The Constitutional Court last year declined to rule on his candidacy, saying the decision rested with the elections commission.

Muluzi, who remains the influential chief of the former ruling United Democratic Front (UDF), reacted angrily to the commission’s announcement, saying the ”decision is politically influenced”.

”My party will challenge the decision in court and I have instructed my legal team to go ahead to challenge the decision,” Muluzi said in a statement.

He urged his supporters, known for political violence, to ”remain calm”, saying he would press ahead with his campaign.

Humphrey Mvula, a top Muluzi aide, said the UDF will file the documents to challenge the decision on Monday at the high court here.

”We think it’s a winnable case … We will survive and exhaust all available means,” he said. ”A big party like the UDF cannot go to the polls without fielding a presidential candidate.”

He accused the commission of going beyond its mandate to interpret the Constitution, saying the electoral body was ”under serious political strain to reject Muluzi”.

Muluzi’s political standing has also been hit by corruption allegations, after he was charged in February with 86 counts of graft over the alleged theft of $12-million in aid money.

His rejection leaves incumbent President Binbgu wa Mutharika facing off against opposition leader John Tembo of the Malawi Congress Party in the presidential race. – AFP

 

AFP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘The children cannot cope any more’: Suicide in Calvinia highlights...

How Covid-19 has intensified the physical and emotional burdens placed on children’s shoulders.

Capitec Bank flies high above Viceroy’s arrow

The bank took a knock after being labelled a loan shark by the short seller, but this has not stymied its growth

More top stories

The convenient myth of an Africa spared from Covid-19

There are few, if any, studies to support Pfizer chief executive’s assertion that the global south would be more vaccine-hesitant than the north

Council wants Hawks, SIU probe into BAT’s Zimbabwe scandal

The cigarette maker has been accused of giving up to $500 000 in bribes and spying on competitors

How Alpha Condé overthrew Alpha Condé

Since the coup d’état, Guinea’s head of state has been in the custody of the military officers. But it was the president who was the primary architect of his own downfall
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×