SuperSport parts ways with Joost
SuperSport said on Tuesday it had temporarily parted ways with ex-Springbok rugby captain Joost van der Westhuizen.
In a statement, SuperSport spokesperson Clinton Van Der Berg said it would be in both parties’ best interests that Van der Westhuizen no longer render any services to the sports broadcaster until further notice.
Van der Westhuizen had been embroiled in an alleged sex scandal.
Management of SuperSport met Van der Westhuizen on Monday to discuss further allegations made against the former rugby player over the weekend.
“The recently made allegations differ from previous allegations, that no longer emanates from anonymous sources,” Van Der Berg said.
He added that SuperSport regards the allegations in a serious light, but also respects Van der Westhuizen’s constitutional right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
“His appearances on air are adding pressure to the situation, which is not conducive to the allegations being resolved.”
The meeting followed weekend media reports in which 24-year-old Marilize van Emmenis confessed to being the woman in a sex video which allegedly also shows Van der Westhuizen.—Sapa.