Satawu: Remove Ngcuka from Transnet board
Former national director of public prosecutions Bulelani Ngcuka must be immediately removed from the board of Transnet, the South African Transport and Allied Workers Union demanded on Tuesday.
He had “sold his soul” for all manner of rewards, including his seat on the Transnet Board, charged Satawu general secretary Randall Howard in a statement.
Ngcuka and former Scorpions boss Leonard McCarthy have been implicated by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in a “conspiracy” against African National Congress president Jacob Zuma aimed at securing their preferred candidate as president.
Howard said Ngcuka had been central to a political agenda intended to destroy the life and integrity of someone else.
“The Satawu national office bearers on behalf of its members will formally communicate to the acting [Transnet chief executive officer] to effect this decision on an urgent basis,” Howard said.
Mpshe said on Monday charges of fraud and corruption against Zuma were being dropped on the grounds of collusion between McCarthy and Ngcuka, including manipulation and abuse of process found in transcripts of telephone calls between them.
Mpshe said the merits of the case had not been dealt with and the decision did not mean Zuma was being acquitted.
The NPA’s move to drop charges was formally endorsed in the Durban High Court during a brief appearance by Zuma earlier on Tuesday.
Zuma said afterwards he finally felt vindicated after eight years of investigation.
“The investigation had brought untold pressure on the entire Zuma family and relatives. And I want to thank those who believed in my innocence,” he said.
Independent Democrats leader Patricia de Lille has since laid charges of improper interference with the NPA against Ngcuka and