To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
13 May 2009 07:25
An office worker cleaning a refrigerator full of rotten food created a smell so noxious that it sent seven co-workers to the hospital and made many others ill.
Firefighters had to evacuate the AT&T building in downtown San Jose on Tuesday after the fumes led someone to call emergency services. A hazardous materials team was called in.
What crews found was an unplugged refrigerator crammed with mouldy food.
Authorities say an enterprising office worker had decided to clean it out, placing the food in a conference room while using two cleaning chemicals to scrub down the mess.
The mixture of old lunches and disinfectant caused 28 people to need treatment for vomiting and nausea.
Authorities say the worker who cleaned the refrigerator didn’t need treatment—she can’t smell because of allergies.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?