To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
30 Jun 2009 14:28
The Springboks are to appeal the two-week ban lock Bakkies Botha received for a dangerous charge on Adam Jones in the second Test on the weekend.
Botha’s second-half charge left the Welsh prop with a dislocated shoulder that needed corrective surgery and ruled him out of Saturday’s third and final Test in Johannesburg.
Springbok assistant coach Dick Muir said on Tuesday that the South African coaching staff had seen nothing untoward in Botha’s charge.
“We don’t see any wrongdoing in that challenge,” Muir said. “There were lots of other incidents that were possibly tougher and possibly should have been cited.
“But because there were no injuries there was no reaction.
“It’s really disappointing for us.
There was no reason for him [Botha] to be cited.
Lawyers acting for the Springboks received a copy of the initial hearing report earlier on Tuesday and Muir said they were hoping to push the appeal through ahead of Saturday’s game.
South Africa will not, however, be appealing the eight-week ban Schalk Burger received for making contact with the eye area of Lions winger Luke Fitzgerald.
The Bok team for Saturday’s Test is expected to be named on Thursday.—AFP
Create Account | Lost Your Password?