Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Eskom prepares for power failures

Eskom has put emergency plans in place in case several of its generators trip, it said on Tuesday but added the power supply in the country for now was stable.

The utility has been rationing electricity since early last year when the national grid nearly collapsed, forcing mines and smelters to shut for days and costing the biggest economy in Africa billions of dollars.

Spokesperson Andrew Etzinger said Eskom had put up schedules for load shedding — a term used to describe power outages — on their website, but said it had no intention of using them now.

”It is almost like an evacuation plan in the building … you don’t plan to use it, but in the event that we do, those are the plans that would be implemented,” he told Reuters.

The schedules list which areas around the country would experience power failures at what time during a week in case the utility was forced to further ration supply.

Etzinger said some seven generators, with a combined capacity of 4 000MW, would need to trip at the same time for the back-up plan to kick in.

”We don’t foresee any load shedding, but we can’t say never … for now we are fine,” he said.

Eskom, which supplies about 95% of the country’s power, plans to spend R385-billion in new capacity over five years, but the first new power plant is not expected to come on stream before 2015. – Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

FNB, Ivestec exposed to R6.3m scam

Administrators at First National Bank are accused of duping Investec out of millions of rand.

SAA takes to the skies again after 18 months grounded

After an 18-month hiatus, the national carrier has done away with major routes that would have required it to use much larger fleets

More top stories

NPA accuses Zuma’s legal team of trying for a new...

Judge Piet Koen is expected to rule in late October on the former president’s latest stab at acquittal on corruption charges stemming from the arms deal

FNB, Ivestec exposed to R6.3m scam

Administrators at First National Bank are accused of duping Investec out of millions of rand.

Three men killed in apparent Cape Town taxi violence flare-up

Three members affiliated with taxi association Cata have been gunned down at the Joe Slovo minibus taxi rank in Cape Town

SAA takes to the skies again after 18 months grounded

After an 18-month hiatus, the national carrier has done away with major routes that would have required it to use much larger fleets
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×