Eastern cape circumcision death toll nears 50

Four more boys have died because of botched circumcisions in the Eastern Cape, bringing the death toll to 49, health officials said on Friday.

”Three of the boys died in Mdantsane in East London and the other in Mount Ayliff last week,” Health Department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said.

”These cases were only reported to us today [Friday],” he said.

Earlier on Friday, when another case was reported to the South African Press Association, Kupelo said he believed the programmes put in place to curb deaths during the circumcision period were working in some areas.

The department would stop at nothing to ensure they effectively dealt with the issue.

Kupelo again appealed for community assistance in identifying illegal initiation schools, where most of the boys’ lives were put at risk. — Sapa

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Police intelligence surprised by July unrest ‘modus operandi’

Minister of police only receives information from national commissioner that relates to him, commission hears

Sars appeals to ConCourt to keep Zuma’s tax secrets

The high court ruled banning the release of tax information was unconstitutional. Sars disagrees, saying is not only wrong but makes an exception of the former president

ANC halts mayoral elections in Limpopo

The party’s provincial secretary says the appointment of new mayors will wait until dispute investigations are completed

Shabir Madhi: SA scientists were responsible when announcing Omicron

But the virologist urges caution before scientists make blanket public announcements that can lead to ‘hasty’ international decisions
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×