To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
27 Jul 2009 13:19
A strike by Metrorail workers was suspended on Monday after a new wage offer was tabled, union officials said.
“There will be no strike this week,” said South African Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu) sector coordinator Lubabalo Tinzi.
The strike notice issued last week was suspended after the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa tabled a new offer on Sunday night.
Tinzi said the employers were now offering an 8% salary increase.
“This is a move from the 7% that was originally offered ... our final demand was 9%.
The employers have met us half-way by giving 8%,” said Tinzi.
The increase would be backdated to February 1 this year.
Also, Tinzi said the employers had undertaken to make all current part-time workers full-time by April next year.
The union would use this week to brief its members on the new offer.
“The employer will get a report back on Monday,” said Tinzi.
“Satawu national office-bearers and the negotiating team have decided to delay the strike notice only in view of the revised offer tabled and to give members an opportunity to pronounce themselves on it.”
A strike would have left an estimated 1,5-million commuters stranded.
Satawu’s fellow union, the United Transport and Allied Trade Union, was not immediately available to comment on the new offer.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?