To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
02 Sep 2009 07:03
A policeman and passenger were wounded when the occupants of a minibus taxi opened fire on a Rea Vaya bus in Soweto on Tuesday evening, Johannesburg police said.
Shots were fired from a Toyota Quantum minibus that had been following the bus as it was driving past the Nancefield Hostel around 8pm, Inspector Kay Makhubela said.
A policeman was hit in the leg and an unidentified passenger also wounded.
Gauteng minister for community safety Khabisi Mosunkutu vowed from the scene that the gunmen would be found, saying he believed the shooters were opposed to the BRT system.
After the shooting the driver managed to drive to the Regina Mundi Church in Soweto.
Netcare 911 spokesperson Nick Dollman said both injured patients, a policeman and the civilian, were taken to hospital in a stable condition.
No arrests had been made.
It was not clear how many people were on the bus at the time.
The bus rapid transit system was launched on Sunday.
Meanwhile, the City of Johannesburg said the BRT system would continue.
“We remain firm in our resolve to continue the Rea Vaya BRT starter service” mayoral committee for transport member Rehana Moosajee said in a statement.
She said the city condemned “in the strongest possible terms” the violent incident and that it had contacted all spheres of government to discuss the
“All law enforcement agencies are stepping up their measures to protect passengers, Rea Vaya staff and property.”
Measures to protect commuters included a police presence on all buses as well as law enforcement vehicles accompanying the buses.
She said contingency plans would also be stepped up.
“Commuters should not allow their hard won gains for improved public transport to be undermined in this way.” - Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?