Netanyahu: No freeze on building in settlements

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday Israel would not freeze all building in West Bank settlements as demanded by Washington, but could limit its scope to help to restart peace talks with the Palestinians.

Israeli officials have said work would continue on 2 500 settler homes being built in the occupied territory, and Netanyahu reaffirmed the position in remarks to a legislative panel, before talks on Tuesday with a United States envoy.

“They [Americans] asked us for a complete freeze and we told them that we will not do this,” Netanyahu was quoted as saying by a parliamentary official, who briefed reporters on his comments to the Foreign Affairs and Defence Committee.

“I told the Americans we would consider reducing the scope of construction,” the Israeli leader said, according to the official.

“But there has to be a balance between the desire to make progress in political negotiations and the need to allow inhabitants of Judea and Samaria to continue to lead normal lives,” Netanyahu said, referring to the occupied West Bank.

Israel Radio quoted Netanyahu, who heads a right-leaning government, as saying any construction restrictions would be in effect only for a limited time, but it said he gave no timeframe.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, also due to meet US presidential envoy George Mitchell on Tuesday, has said he would not return to peace negotiations with Israel until it froze settlement activity in line with a 2003 peace “road map”.

Talks have been suspended since December.

Package deal
Mitchell, who arrived in Israel on Saturday, has been trying to prepare a package under which Israel would halt construction in settlements and Arab nations would take initial steps towards recognising Israel.

Washington hopes both moves would lead to a resumption of peace talks. Mitchell and Netanyahu said separately on Sunday that gaps still needed to be bridged before a settlement deal could be sealed.

In an opinion piece published in the New York Times on Monday, Turki al-Faisal, a former director of Saudi Arabia’s intelligence services, said regional recognition of Israel could come about only after it removed all settlements.

“We are willing to embrace the hands of any partner in peace, but only after they have released their grip on Arab lands,” he wrote.

Last week, Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak drew a US rebuke by approving 455 building permits in settlements in the West Bank, land Israel captured in a 1967 war and which Palestinians want as part of a future state.

The move was widely seen in Israel as a bid to placate settlers before any construction limitations. An Israeli government official said it was a step towards a “package” deal that could include “very severe limitations in the growth of settlements—a possible moratorium”.

About 500 000 Israelis live in the West Bank and in Arab East Jerusalem, also captured by Israel in the 1967 war, alongside about three million Palestinians.
The World Court considers the settlements illegal and Palestinians say the enclaves could deny them a viable state.—Reuters

Client Media Releases

SA moves beyond connectivity
Education student receives prominent awards
VMware is diamond sponsor of ITWeb's Cloud Summit 2019