To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
07 Oct 2009 11:38
Villages buried in landslides triggered by last week’s earthquake may be declared mass graves, Indonesian authorities said on Wednesday as relief agencies battled to reach remote areas.
Up to 400 people are believed to have been buried alive when hillsides collapsed in the 7,6-magnitude quake and obliterated four adjacent villages in the Padang Pariaman district of Sumatra island.
West Sumatra Governor Gamawan Fauzi said most of the dead would probably never be found or would be in such a state of decay that it would be better to leave them where they were.
“If after umpteen days the bodies are broken, if we dig them up, probably their arms will break off, their legs will break off.
It’s no good,” he told reporters in Padang, the provincial capital and worst-hit city.
“If the community is willing, from a religious angle it is okay not to rebury them.
The official death toll from last Wednesday’s quake stands at 704 but the Red Cross believes the final number will be more than 3 000, with hundreds of bodies still interred in the debris.
One body was recovered from the flattened Ambacang Hotel in Padang on Wednesday, the 76th corpse pulled from the wreckage there since the quake.
Military officer Haris Sarjana said 71 corpses remained buried at the site.
Relief agencies are racing against time to get aid to farming villages in the rugged hinterland that are still cut off a week after the massive earthquake devastated parts of Sumatra.
About half-a-million people could be homeless, according to estimates by the United Nations and Red Cross based on the official figure of about 100 000 homes destroyed.
UN humanitarian response coordinator Rachel Lavy said there was no shortage of aid supplies, and more was on the way aboard US warships expected to arrive off Sumatra by Friday.
US aid officials in Padang said a field hospital with the capacity to treat up to 400 people was in operation but a military transport plane with 45 tonnes of supplies had been delayed and would arrive on Thursday.
Indonesian Disaster Management Agency spokesperson Priyadi Kardono said helicopters made six aid drops to isolated villages on Tuesday, with more flights planned for Wednesday.
“Aid supplies are sufficient ... though we welcome more. We have enough tents and about 19 000 tonnes of rice, which is enough to last four months,” he said.
Lavy said the biggest challenge was distribution, especially in mountain areas.
“Agencies are still reporting pockets where they found people who say they haven’t received any assistance,” she said.
There were no signs of disease outbreaks, despite shortages of drinking water and the hundreds of decaying bodies still buried beneath the rubble, she said.
Governor Fauzi denied that any areas had yet to receive aid, and blamed local authorities for any delays.
“Where are the blockages in distribution? If it is blocked, probably it’s between the local districts and the people,” he said.
“Just imagine, if 100 000 homes collapse, that’s 500 000 people [homeless]. If there are six people who aren’t happy, 10 people who aren’t happy, don’t make that the news headline.
“We’re taking care of 500 000 people in a very short time.”—Sapa-AFP
Create Account | Lost Your Password?