Agliotti back on the stand

Glenn Agliotti, the first state witness in the corruption trial of former police head Jackie Selebi, returns to the stand on Monday.

Last week the convicted drug trafficker had time off while the High Court in Johannesburg was occupied with a recusal application by the defence against Judge Meyer Joffe.

After hearing arguments from both counsel, Joffe dismissed the application last Friday. He called Selebi’s complaints of perceived bias against him “unfounded”, “wrong” and “incomprehensible”.

On day 14 of the trial Agliotti is expected to be questioned on a video viewed in the High Court in Johannesburg two weeks ago.

The video, from August 2003, shows a conversation that took place when then-acting crime intelligence head Mulangi Mphego summoned Agliotti to his office to query a payment of about $1-million.

The payment was allegedly made by mining magnate Brett Kebble and his associates to Agliotti as a “consultancy fee” for access to Selebi.

In the video Agliotti says he used Selebi’s name—without him knowing it—to get money from Kebble.

“I used Jackie’s name and I am not lying to you. I shouldn’t have ...
It’s got nothing to do with Jackie,” he says in the video.

The always smartly-dressed witness has already testified for seven days.

After cross-examination wraps up, prosecutor Gerrie Nel has told the court he expects re-examination to take at least a day.

Agliotti will receive indemnity from prosecution on various charges if he testifies “frankly and honestly”.

Selebi is facing a charge of corruption and another of defeating the ends of justice in connection with at least R1,2-million he allegedly received from Agliotti and others in return for favours. - Sapa

Client Media Releases

Fedgroup drives industry reform in unclaimed benefits sector
Hardworking students win big at architecture awards
VUT presents 2019 registration introduction
Vocational training: good start to great career