Mphego applies for permanent stay of prosecution

Former crime intelligence head Mulangi Mphego applied for a permanent stay of prosecution in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

His application was supported by a 70-page affidavit.

Mphego is charged with defeating the ends of justice for his involvement in the production of an affidavit by convicted drug trafficker Glenn Agliotti.

In court on Wednesday, state advocate Gerrie Nel said witnesses had been subpoenaed but were told not to come to court as there would be no trial because of Mphego’s new application.

No witnesses were in court on Wednesday.

Defence attorney Salle Joubert told the court the defence had decided on a timeline according to which the answering affidavit be filed no later than February 19 and replying papers be filed by March 12.

The case was remanded to May 7 when Mphego’s application would be heard and argued.

Mphego was told to keep to his bail conditions and not make contact with former colleagues.—Sapa

.
.

Client Media Releases

First two MTN CakeCrush Competition winners announced
Fun things to do in Cape Town
Sebata establishes Skills Development Centre
Fempreneurs shine during EWP gala event