Metro police will conduct a number of road blocks in Johannesburg in an attempt to curb drunken driving, a spokesperson said on Saturday.
”We have a zero tolerance approach to drunken driving. It is one of the biggest threats on our roads,” said Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar.
On Friday evening 62 motorists were arrested in road blocks in Soweto, Randburg and the Johannesburg Central.
”All of these motorists will appear in court next week,” said Minnaar.
Minnaar warned motorists to limit themselves to one drink per hour, or they would be arrested should they be breathalysed in a roadblock.
”After only one drink your vision can be impaired, as well as your judgement and co-ordination. Should you have a drink, give yourself an hour before you drive, organise alternative transport or sleep over at the place you are visiting,” Minnaar said.
Meanwhile accident reports are flooding in from across the country as holiday-makers hit the roads.
Ten people, including two children, were killed in a bus accident in the Eastern Cape on Saturday morning, Arrive Alive said.
The bus missed a curve and crashed into a tavern in Engcobo at 11:00, Arrive Alive spokesperson Tshepo Machaea said.
Ten people were confirmed dead, according to Machaea and 38 were injured and sent to various hospitals.
However, the death toll might rise as people were still trapped under the bus, he said. These included a number of patrons at the tavern.
”The bus driver is alive but injured,” he said. ”We are going to subject him to a breathalyzer test as there is
some suspicion that he may have been driving under the influence (of alcohol).”
The SABC reported on Saturday that the bus had been transporting shoppers from Rustenburg in the North West to Mthatha. – Sapa