SA Airlink back on track with corrective-action programme
South African Airlink is back on track following its submission of a “corrective-action programme” (CAP), the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) said on Tuesday.
“The CAP was thoroughly assessed by the SACAA in order to ascertain whether the findings contained in the audit report had been adequately addressed,” said SAACA in a statement. “The CAP submitted to the SACAA provides the SACAA with the assurance that the CAP will address all audit findings by the end of January 2010.”
The SACAA said that there were three observations made about flight operations and another 12 on aircraft maintenance.
Last week Transport Minister Sbu Ndebele gave the airline until Monday to make sure its maintenance programme met required safety standards.
“Airlink can continue operations. However, this is subject to the resolution of a few immediate concerns, including the submission of a comprehensive corrective action plan as called for by the civil aviation regulations,” he said at the time.
The request followed three accidents involving Airlink in as many months.
On December 7, an SA Airlink flight overshot the runway at George airport. It crashed through a fence before stalling in a ditch.
A few months ago, another Airlink plane crash-landed at school grounds in Durban. The pilot died later of his injuries. Three people were critically hurt.—Sapa