New Zealand not pursuing Mickey Arthur

Reports linking former South Africa coach Mickey Arthur with New Zealand’s vacant national coaching position were baseless, a spokesperson for New Zealand Cricket said on Wednesday.

Arthur (41) resigned on Tuesday after four-and-a-half years as South African coach, reportedly in the wake of the breakdown of his working relationship with Proteas’ captain Graeme Smith.

New Zealand has been without a national coach since October 24 when Englishman Andy Moles resigned, also amid reports of tensions with senior players. Captain Daniel Vettori has been acting in an informal coaching role since Moles’ departure.

New Zealand Cricket was involved in “a process” to find a successor to Moles and that process was ongoing, its spokesperson Mike Henstock said.

The names of candidates who had been approached or had shown interest in the position could not be revealed for reasons of personal confidentiality, he said.


Henstock said there was no basis to suggest New Zealand had approached Arthur or that the South African had expressed interest in the coaching position.

A move to New Zealand might be seen as a retrograde career step for Arthur who led South Africa to Test cricket’s number one world ranking a year ago. New Zealand is seventh on Test rankings and had been hard-hit by the recent retirements of players such as Shane Bond, Jacob Oram and Nathan Astle. – Sapa-AP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African connection: How mercenaries aided Trump ally in...

The UN found that Trump ally Erik Prince violated the Libyan arms embargo. Here are the South Africans the report says helped him to do so

Q&A Sessions: African court ‘will be a tough job’ — Dumisa...

Lawyer, author and political activist Dumisa Ntsebeza talks to Nicolene de Wee about his appointment as judge of the African Court on Human and...

More top stories

In a bizarre twist VBS liquidators sue KPMG for R863mn

In filed court documents, the VBS liquidators are blaming auditing firm KPMG’s negligence for the alleged looting of the bank

Snip, snip: Mboweni eyes wage bill, other future spending cuts

Last year, the finance minister noted that increased government spending has failed to promote growth over the past decade

Budget: Mboweni pegs recovery hopes on vaccine efficacy, lower public...

The treasury forecasts 3.3% growth, but warns this will fall to 1.6% if the fledgeling vaccination programme fails to stem successive Covid waves

READ IT IN FULL: Mboweni’s 2021 budget speech

Read the finance minister's address on the budget for 2021
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…