Côte d’Ivoire faces mounting election pressure

The international community is upping the pressure on the West African country of Côte d’Ivoire to hold a presidential election and end a political and security crisis that began seven years ago with a failed coup.

The United Nations (UN) Security Council last week called for an election to be held by May 31, before mandates for a UN force with nearly 8 000 personnel and a deployment of 1 800 French troops in the country run out.

It urged “the relevant Ivorian stakeholders to ensure the publication of the final voters list, to announce the official date of the first round of the presidential election and to meet their commitments in full”.

France’s UN ambassador, Gerard Araud, told reporters after the vote that the UN would begin lifting sanctions once the election takes place.

“We have been waiting for elections in Côte d’Ivoire for years. Ivorian democracy must function and we will not wait indefinitely,” he warned.


His US counterpart, Susan Rice, said the country’s move towards national reconciliation “has been stalled” by delays in holding the election.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon reiterated the point on Sunday, telling a summit of the African Union in Ethiopia: “I urge the parties to overcome the outstanding issues and set a definite date for the election.”

He suggested that it should be held before the end of March.

The poll is aimed at ending a crisis that began with an attempted coup against President Laurent Gbagbo in September 2002, which left the country split between the rebel-held north and a government-controlled south.

Côte d’Ivoire is a former French colony with a population of 20-million.

Delays
The election has already been delayed six times since 2005, when Gbagbo’s mandate ran out. And now a fresh scandal is threatening to delay the vote yet again.

Interior Minister Desire Tagro earlier this month said he would ask prosecutors to open an inquiry into a possible case of voter-list fraud by the country’s electoral commission after a local press report.

He said the information was “of extreme seriousness”.

The Independent Electoral Commission, or CEI under its French-language acronym, refutes allegations of fraud but has acknowledged major problems in managing voter lists.

The scandal is seriously affecting preparations for the crucial election.

Prime Minister Guillaume Soro, former leader of the New Forces rebel movement, has ordered a full re-examination of the CEI’s work.

“We’re stalling,” a Western diplomatic source told Agence France-Presse on condition of anonymity. One Côte d’Ivoire expert said election preparations have effectively ground to a halt, adding “the machine has broken down”.

Gbagbo’s supporters have said they are now expecting the resignation of CEI chief Robert Beugre Mambe, a member of the opposition. Mambe has refused.

The opposition is in turn accusing the authorities of stirring up the scandal in order to delay the vote — and allow Gbagbo to stay in power.

Adding to the tension, the New Forces issued a statement on Sunday condemning what they said were moves to strike people from the north from voter lists on the grounds that they were not genuine Ivorians.

They denounced “arbitrary arrests, slander and all kinds of attempts to exclude many Ivorians from the definitive voter list, by accusing them without proof of Ivorian nationality fraud”.

Discord over who is allowed to claim citizenship of Côte d’Ivoire was one of the main causes of the outbreak of war in 2002.

While calling for “calm and restraint”, the ex-rebels warned against the “unpredictable consequences these attempts to strip people of their nationality could provoke”.

Meanwhile Gbagbo launched celebrations for the 50th anniversary of Côte d’Ivoire’s independence from France on Sunday, saying the event would help people reflect on what direction the country should be taking.

“How have we used the 50 years since independence and what are we going to ask our children and grandchildren to do in the 50 years to come?” he said.
–AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Lazarus Chakwera is sworn in after winning Malawi’s historic presidential election

The opposition presidential candidate won the vote by 20 percentage points, after last year’s poll was overturned because of irregularities

Malawi Court bars South African lawyers from presidential re-election case

The electoral commission’s decision to appoint expensive foreign advocates has been widely criticised

WHO: Half of Africa’s countries can still avoid a serious outbreak

But only if draconian border closures are accompanied by effective public health interventions

Elections test Africa’s democracy

Nine countries will go to the polls this year, but most will be held amid violence and suppression

Africa must tell the rest of the world that we are not their dumping ground

The continent has long received more than its fair share of the world’s toxic waste, endangering the health of people who are exposed to it

The risk of jihadist contagion in West Africa

Faced with jihadist breakthrough in Burkina Faso, neighbouring states in the Gulf of Guinea increasingly fear attacks in their own territories
Advertising

New education policy on gender violence released

Universities and other higher education institutions have to develop ways of preventing or dealing with rape and other damaging behaviour

Cambridge Food Jozini: Pandemic or not, the price-gouging continues

The Competition Commission has fined Cambridge Food Jozini for hiking the price of its maize meal during April

Sekhukhune’s five-year battle for water back in court

The residents of five villages are calling for the district municipal manager to be arrested

Vaccine trial results due in December

If successful, it will then have to be manufactured and distributed
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday