Mandoza crash mystery deepens

Police have opened a reckless and negligent driving case against the driver who caused the accident in which kwaito star Mandoza was injured, a spokesperson said on Tuesday.

Captain Lydia Mtila-Dikolomela said the case was opened on Monday, after the accident in Weltevreden Park, Johannesburg, over the weekend.

“Let me make it clear. By saying we opened a case of reckless and negligent driving against the driver, I am not necessarily referring to Mandoza,” she said.

Dikolomela said no one had been arrested and police had no other suspects.

“The docket will go to court and the police will do an investigation and charge whoever was driving.”

Mandoza, whose real name is Mduduzi Tshabalala, was apparently found in the back seat of the Mini Cooper, after it crashed into a palm tree in the West Rand suburb. There was no other person in sight when metro police arrived on the scene.

Confused
Johannesburg Metro police spokesperson Inspector Edna Mamonyane said on Monday Mandoza was very confused when officers spoke to him, but he did not smell of alcohol.

He had a cut on his forehead and was taken to the Helen Joseph hospital. His blood was not tested for alcohol or drugs as it was apparently too late after the accident to do this.

Mamonyane said the owner of the car was called to the accident scene and arrived 45 minutes after the call, smelling heavily of alcohol.

“He stank like the brewery tank,” said Mamonyane, adding that he did not appear shocked to hear of the accident.


It was earlier reported that Mandoza — who was found guilty of culpable homicide after a crash in March 2008 in which two people were killed — took his friend’s car without permission after a fight with his wife.

However, the Star reports that his wife has denied these reports, saying she was in Soweto at the time of the crash. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday