Briatore happy as truce is declared

Flamboyant former Formula One boss Flavio Briatore celebrated his 60th birthday on Monday with the news that he will be able to return to the sport in 2013 after the world governing body The FIA decided to come to an agreement with the Italian.

The former Renault boss and then director of engineering Pat Symonds were originally banned for life last September by The FIA for their roles in masterminding the ‘crashgate’ scandal for allegedly ordering Nelson Piquet junior to crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

However, both men appealed the decision and in early January won their cases at the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris which found that the FIA sanction was illegal.

The FIA under new chief Jean Todt decided to appeal that decision but on Monday they issued a statement declaring that the dispute was over.

“They [Briatore and Symonds] have undertaken to abstain from having any operational role in Formula 1 until 31 December 2012, as well as in all the other competitions registered on the FIA calendars until the end of the 2011 sporting season.

“They have also abandoned all publicity and financial measures resulting from the judgment of January 5 2010, as well as any further action against the FIA on the subject of this affair.

“In return, they have asked the FIA to abandon the ongoing appeal procedure, but without the FIA recognising the validity of the criticisms levelled against the WMSC’s decision of September 21 2009, as well as to waive the right to bring any new proceedings against them on the subject of this affair.”

Briatore won his case in January on the grounds that former FIA president, Max Mosley, who had presided over the hearing that banned him, had acted as prosecutor, judge and jury.

Briatore had also been seeking 1million euros in compensation but was awarded damages of €20 000 while Symonds was given
€5 000.

The scandal centred on driver Piquet junior’s claims that the team had ordered him to crash deliberately at Singapore to enable teammate Fernando Alonso to go on and win.

Briatore has denied all the accusations levelled against him and vowed to fight to clear his name.

He said that the French court’s decision “gives me back my dignity and the freedom which they arbitrarily tried to take away from me”. — Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Ndabeni-Abrahams lockdown debacle: What we know

The minister has to answer to the president after a picture was posted of her apparently breaking lockdown rules

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world