Sudan dismisses Cyprus weapons probe

Sudan on Wednesday denied trying to import arms on a ship intercepted in Cyprus, saying explosives on board had been ordered by a mining company.

Cypriot authorities on Tuesday said they had prevented a cargo vessel from leaving their waters since June 11, saying it contained prohibited military material and was thought to be heading for Sudan.

A security source said authorities were investigating whether the cargo contravened a United Nations arms embargo on all armed groups operating in Sudan’s Darfur region, where a seven-year conflict has pitted government troops and allied militias against rebel fighters.

Sudan’s recently appointed Mining Minister, Abdel Baqi al-Jailani, told Reuters late on Wednesday the reports of an arms shipment were “just nonsense”.

“The ship is carrying some explosives for civil work … for quarry face blasting and mining,” he said. “It has nothing to do with the military.”


He said the explosives had been ordered by Ariab Mining Company, an operation part-owned by the Sudanese government with gold mining operations in eastern Sudan.

Al-Jalaini said Sudan was now considering taking legal action to free the cargo and win compensation for the delay.

“The explosives were supposed to be here … Some work has had to be stopped … Sudan always comes under suspicion. This is something we always have to deal with,” he said.

Cypriot police said the vessel was sailing to Sudan and then Singapore.

The US envoy to the United Nations, Susan Rice, in March accused Sudan of cavalier violations of the United Nations’s Darfur embargo.

In September 2008, Somali pirates captured a Ukrainian ship loaded with a cargo of Soviet-era T-72 tanks and other weapons. Foreign diplomats said there was evidence the arms were bound for south Sudan. South Sudan’s semi-autonomous government dismissed the report. — Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African connection: How mercenaries aided Trump ally in...

The UN found that Trump ally Erik Prince violated the Libyan arms embargo. Here are the South Africans the report says helped him to do so

Q&A Sessions: African court ‘will be a tough job’ — Dumisa...

Lawyer, author and political activist Dumisa Ntsebeza talks to Nicolene de Wee about his appointment as judge of the African Court on Human and...

More top stories

In a bizarre twist VBS liquidators sue KPMG for R863mn

In filed court documents, the VBS liquidators are blaming auditing firm KPMG’s negligence for the alleged looting of the bank

Snip, snip: Mboweni eyes wage bill, other future spending cuts

Last year, the finance minister noted that increased government spending has failed to promote growth over the past decade

Budget: Mboweni pegs recovery hopes on vaccine efficacy, lower public...

The treasury forecasts 3.3% growth, but warns this will fall to 1.6% if the fledgeling vaccination programme fails to stem successive Covid waves

READ IT IN FULL: Mboweni’s 2021 budget speech

Read the finance minister's address on the budget for 2021
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…