Semenya silences critics in Berlin

World 800-metres champion Caster Semenya silenced her critics by securing a comfortable victory at the Istaf meeting in Berlin, Germany, on Sunday, by crossing the line in 1:59,90.

Semenya, cleared to run against women by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) last month, improved her season’s best by 2,51 seconds.

Questions were raised about her ability after winning two low key races in Finland last month, with wide speculation that she had undergone medical treatment during an 11-month probe into her gender that had kept her off the track.

And while the 19-year-old was more than four seconds off the 1:55,45 South African record she set in winning the world title at the same Olympic Stadium a year ago, Semenya proved she was still capable of challenging the best in the world.

Settling near the back of the pack on the first lap, she broke away with 60m to go to finish ahead of Kenyan Cherono Koech, who placed second in 2:00,40.


“It feels good to be back in Berlin,” Semenya told AFP.

“I did not think about everything that happened after my gold medal, I just concentrated on my race and my time.

“My goal was to run under two minutes and I achieved that. When I won the race, this brought back memories of the 2009 final for me,” she said.

“After my training this year, I was a little disappointed with my competition results, but now I am happy as I can see progress.”

It was a good day for two-lap specialists in Berlin, with Kenyan sensation David Rudisha clocking 1:41,09 to break the 13-year-old world record of 1:41,11 held by Denmark’s Wilson Kipketer.

South African record holder Sunette Viljoen was placed fourth in the women’s javelin throw with a best of 60,66m. – AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Mask rules are not meant to ‘criminalise’ the public

Shop owners and taxi drivers can now refuse entry to people who defy mandatory mask-wearing regulations

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday